Sierra Matchking .308 240gr HPBT

This is a discussion on Sierra Matchking .308 240gr HPBT within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Does anyone know whether a 30-06 with a 1/10 twist will stabilize this bullet. At Sierra's homepage they informs that the 210gr requires/ recommends a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sierra Matchking .308 240gr HPBT

Does anyone know whether a 30-06 with a 1/10 twist will stabilize this bullet. At Sierra's homepage they informs that the 210gr requires/ recommends a 1/10 twist. But nothing is stated with regard to the 240gr bullet.

I would kindly ask the same out of the 220gr bullet, is it possible to use it?

Thanks a lot for all your help/ Olsson

It takes a one in 9" twist to stablize the 240 grain Sierra Match King.

The 220 grain round nose is not a very long bullet and you should be able to stabilize it using a one in ten inch twist.

The rate of twist required depends on the length of the bullet.

Mad.

I shot some 240s in my 10 twist 300WM and they worked quite well but the 300WM will push them faster than the 30-06 and sometimes the extra speed will help stabilize a bullet on the edge just enough to make it work. I didn't keep using them because I found the 210 Bergers worked better in both velocity and accuracy. Now I use the Hornady 208 AMAXs because they are more available, cheaper, shoot as well as the Bergers and have a better BC. I'd recommend giving them a try in your 10 twist barrel. I'm sure you'll be happier with them than the 240s.

You should have no problems with the 220s also as I've shot the 220 SMKs and they worked well.

Thanks for your help, most appreciated. Trying to gear up when my customrifle finally arrives. Thinking of the info I have received I should have put my question differently!

I have never been shooting longer then 300metres in Sweden. But I will now be reaching out to 1000 metres and I am looking for a very good bullet to start to work with to find its long range qualities. I have called different suppliers and I can get the Berger bullets in Sweden, and ofcourse Sierra and Hornady. With my 30-06, 1/10 twist barrel with a length of 575mm, what would your choice of these three bullets be;ยจ

- Berger 210gr Match VLD
    - Sierra the 210/ 220 HPBT Match King
    - Hornady 208gr A-MAX (ps: what is the BC on this bullet, I can not find it anywhere, thanks)

Final question, do you find the Berger/ Hornady bullets above hard to work with to get the most out of it?

Thanks again/ Olsson

Sierra's 210s are way over priced and I won't use them just for that reason. The Bergers and Hornadys both worked equally well and weren't a probl;em to get to shoot really good with some H1000 behind them. RL22 works good too.

I'd get 100 of the Berger and 100 of the Hornadys and try them and see which your rifle likes better and then buy alot of what it likes. Bioth will work as far as the 10 twist goes.

The BC for the Hornady 208 AMAX is .648 if I remember correctly but I know it's over .64.

Try looking on www.longrangehunting.com Some folks there are really into those big bullets, and I've looked over a couple threads discussing the 06 and these big rounds.I use 240 SMKs, but ,like Rob01, I'm using them in a big magnum, a .300RUM, and the speed may contribute to the stability.

Jeff
    Jeff passed away on July 17th, 2009, he will be GREATLY missed by everyone here at Sniper Central. Video Thread

" We cannot direct the wind,but we can adjust the sails." -Bertha Calloway

www.second-amendment.org

Quote Originally Posted by Rob01
    I'd get 100 of the Berger and 100 of the Hornadys and try them and see which your rifle likes better and then buy alot of what it likes. Bioth will work as far as the 10 twist goes.

The BC for the Hornady 208 AMAX is .648 if I remember correctly but I know it's over .64.
    Thanks Rob01, I will get 100 each and work my way through. Unfortunately in a test you do not run through all loaded test bullets at 600metres, so I will take the receipy of best accurate loads from 100metres and try it out at 300m, before I will take them to the 600metre range. Hopefully, what works at 100metre with these heavy bullets would equally perform well at long range, i.e., 600-1000metres......but I know that it does not have to be like that - isn't the art of reloading fun :wink:

Jeffdorr, just spent an hour looking at the link you provided, but I have not found any good threads yet. It is good reading so I will continue, thanks for your help

Olsson

I just wen't onto the site, and I see they have revamped it to a new site. It looks like the same people, but much of the old threads are gone.
    Still, these folks shoot a lot of big leads in their long range hunting rifles, so perhaps if you put a post on about the 240s, these folks would have an idea.
    Jeff
    Jeff passed away on July 17th, 2009, he will be GREATLY missed by everyone here at Sniper Central. Video Thread

" We cannot direct the wind,but we can adjust the sails." -Bertha Calloway

www.second-amendment.org

Olsson, I only have access to a 400 yard range and now that that is closed only 200 yards but all my testing is done. I shot them at 100 and 300 and found that if they worked well at 300 yards they worked well all the way to 1000+ so don't worry if you have only 600 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob01
    Olsson, I only have access to a 400 yard range and now that that is closed only 200 yards but all my testing is done. I shot them at 100 and 300 and found that if they worked well at 300 yards they worked well all the way to 1000+ so don't worry if you have only 600 yards.
    I got access to two shooting ranges over here, one 50 metres, and one 100-200-300 metres. It is possible to get access to the 600metres but it is a long ride and shooting there will take most of the day and I need to book in advance. Therefore, most of the time spent is at the 100-300m range. But thanks for easing my worrying now I can now focus on handloading when the time comes

Olsson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads