Split Casing

This is a discussion on Split Casing within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Just for clarification, I saw that Fluffy referred to "casehead" being split. The head is not what is split, the case body is split. This ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Split Casing

Just for clarification, I saw that Fluffy referred to "casehead" being split. The head is not what is split, the case body is split.

This is my depiction of a empy casing. The lowercase "x" is where the neck begins. The "]" is the head where the primer is located.

]XXXXXxx

This is my broken casing. The "}" are the slightly freyed edges of the casing where the split occurs. The "_" are simply to make distance between the two halves.

]XXX{ ____ }XXxx

Perhaps this is what Fluffy understands, I just would like to be clear and make sure.

Split casing etc etc means very high pressure. Again, have your gun checked out by a gunsmith. They should inspect the bolt and also use go/nogo gauges on it. The high pressure could have caused to bolt to go out of spec. if that is the case it can probably be fixed I believe but DO NOT FIRE UNTIL CHECKED. Also another possibility that is remote. Your chamber could have been out of spec on the small side and the ammo you are using is high end of normal thus causing the extreme high pressure. Again, have the rifle checked by a pro and don't use the ammo anymore. Call the ammo company and tell them.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

So let me see if I got this straight, so I have to find the best one that my rifle likes, for example it like FGMM 168 gr, but if I want to find one that works best with 150 gr, I need to redo all the ammo to find the best. And the same goes for hunting ammo too, find the best one that my rifle likes again. and if i want to go lighter or heavier of a round, redo the process again? sounds like a lot, but did I get right?

Okay I was glancing over this again, and I realized I posted in the wrong one some how, so sorry!! It was suppose to be in my post about finding the best ammo for your gun. Once again SORRY
    Always room to learn and to improve in anything you know and do!
    Savage 111 .270 win
    Ruger 10/22
    Glock 23
    12 Gauge Shot Gun
    More to come!!!!!

It's very possible that your rifle may like different brands for different bullet weights/match vs. hunting, and it's possible your rifle may like the same brand for all. Different bullet weights of the same brand may use different powders for each. When you hand load, you may be able to find a powder that shoots several different bullet weights very well. The problem is often times different powders shoot heavy or light bullets better. Heavier bullets have more inerta and create higher pressures and use less powder. Light bullets leave the case with less force, and can use more powder to create the same case pressure. It's often better to have a high % of your case loaded with powder wich would require a different powder that produces lower pressure per gr. of powder. It all comes down to case pressure and it changes with different bullets, different brass, tighter chambers, neck sizing vs. full case sizing, bullet seating depth, and of course powder charge. There are many different reloading manuals available from all the major bullet manufactures, and even some powder manufacturers, that can get you on the right track. Reloading is an easy way to make your rifle much more accurate, it can be fun, but always be carefull!

P.S. Did you get the DVD I sent?

I thought that the casehead was split. To split a casehead would require hellish pressure.

A split case could be the result of brass fatigue. Nonetheless, I would have the rifle checked. One of those loads caused the rifle to stick. When the bolt won't open, that's a bad sign. It means that the locking lugs and the locking area have been forcefully introduced to each other.

I would have the rifle checked. You are probably OK. But do not use that ammo again.

I cannot understand why people would buy expensive rifles and shoot cheap ammo.

Don't be a schmoe. Produce quality handloads and be safe.

Fluffy.
    I'm a genius. And you are not.

I think I'd contact Impact guns first, and see if there are any other complaints about this ammo.Then I would contact HSM and tell them of your experience.I'm sure they'd like to know of snafus at their loading plant. You may save other lives by doing so.

I can't stress enough the value of reloading. The best way to get quality ammo for a low price is to make your own.I like the idea I'm in control of the quality of my ammo. And that it will shoot as well as, if not better than, most factory ammo.Plus, I can install a bullet more to my needs, rather than whatever tha factory that makes the ammo offers.

Jeff
    Jeff passed away on July 17th, 2009, he will be GREATLY missed by everyone here at Sniper Central. Video Thread

" We cannot direct the wind,but we can adjust the sails." -Bertha Calloway

www.second-amendment.org

Fluffy, the ammo I was using is the same stuff Mel sells on sniper central, or at least shouldve been. This stuff makes me wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by NiceDay2
    Wow, so how did I get this crappy ammo? Its HSM match, I bought it from Impact Guns.

Maybe that is your problem, Impact Guns. Who knows where that stuff came from. Probably some fools reloads...just throw it away. As far as spitting brass...how many pieces did this happen with?
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

One case was split. One got stuck, but shows no visible damage.

I wouldn't shoot the ammo, but likely, your rifle is fine. Its not uncommon for handloaders and wildcatters to push the envelope when working up loads. I've stuck a few cases in my day, and never had a problem...note: that is working up to that point, not starting out at it. If I were you, I'd take that whole box of ammo, soak it in water or something of that sort so that it cannot be ignited, and pitch them.
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ads