Subsonic .308

This is a discussion on Subsonic .308 within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hi I'm searching for some information on .308 subsonic ammo. I'd like to hear if someone has experience shooting this, and, if, what tipe of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subsonic .308

Subsonic .308

Hi

I'm searching for some information on .308 subsonic ammo. I'd like to hear if someone has experience shooting this, and, if, what tipe of bullets uses, weight, etc

One important thing for me is to find if a rifle which is very accurate with standar ammo, will maintain its accuracy with subsonic ammo (admitting a proper charge, bullet, etc). Of course, between certain margins....I wonder what is the maximum distance up to what maintains an acceptable accuracy a subsonic round (maybe 200, 300yd?)

The other thing I want to get some informations, is about rates of twist. I know there are some formulae relating bullet lenght, speed and rate, but I prefer to hear first hand experiences, if possible.

There are may rifles with 1:12, and less with 1:11 (not custom, I mean), but 1:12 is in the edge, I think...So I won't go wrong. I'm buying a rifle which won't be cheap precisely, and I wish starting with a right barrel for this purpose, at least.

Thanks

Luis Miguel

Hi, aixelsid1002

Well, it's not too simple. I have here in Spain a farm where I breed pigs. Here we have the sows in small kennels (I don't know if it's the exact word) in order they can give birth the piglets in open country, not in stables. If you have tried our cured jam you'll understand why is important that the pigs spend all their lives in open country.

The thing is that here are some increasing population of foxes, and they often steal just born piglets fron these kennels while the sow is sleeping. So I expend some whiles in the night with mi .17 hmr to keep fox population.

I have to admit that in Spain is illegal to posess silencers, but I think it's more useful in this case not to disturb animals or people (and I know a gunsmith friend of mine that makes silencers). And, since there aren't subsonic .17s, I thought it could be a good idea go with a silenced .308.

I hope had cleared your question.

Luis Miguel

Subsonic ammunition is not necessary for a "quiet" .308 . I posted a link to a thread, go there and watch the video. The rifle is shooting standard Gold Metal Match ammunition and it is still quiet. The subsonic rounds will not perform as well as supersonic, and are all but pointless.

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/...ht=video#81354

-matt
    http://www.ordnancesystem.com/
    Ordnance System Designs, Inc.
    Stay tuned for details.

Be worthy of your freedom and of the sacrifice of those who protect it.

Hi, monteboy84

I've watched the video, and it has became a very valuable input for me. I'd never thought that a standard round could be so much quiet, even with a can. I wonder if it's because the audio in this video, but my impression was that this sounded little louder than a high powered airgun :shock: Not to mention the reduced recoil...

Thanks

Luis Miguel

A fox is not a large animal.I have dispatched them with match grade .22 ammo. Most match grade is a bit slower than typical hunting .22, and have very little noise. If silencers are illegal in Spain, then you might better annoy your neigbors while saving your piglets, and stay out of trouble. Your .17HMR should be a fairly low noise round.

Jeff
    Jeff passed away on July 17th, 2009, he will be GREATLY missed by everyone here at Sniper Central. Video Thread

" We cannot direct the wind,but we can adjust the sails." -Bertha Calloway

www.second-amendment.org

You need a 1 in 8 or faster twist to stabilize heavier 308 bullets at subsonic speeds. The Sierra 220 or 240 might be a good place to start. You can shoot the 190 Sierra at 2,400 fps. through this barrel and get decent supersonic performance as well.

I've shot subsonic EBR Thumper ammo, which uses a 180grn bullet, through my 22" 10 twist Broughton barrel and SRT Shadow XL and it shot well but the difference in drop from my standard .308 load was about 12" low. Accuracy was about MOA. A friend has a load worked up with the same barrel as mine with the Lapua 200grn bullets which is sub MOA but hits about 17" low. I wouldn't shoot either at much past 200 yards.

Personally subsonic ammo is just one of those fun things to play with but I don't have any real use for it like you do. If you can get a suppressor they are pretty quiet with full power loads. All you get is the bullet crack. When I'm alone at the range I don't even wear ears.

If you like give me a call and I would be happy to help. We did some major R&D appx. 14 years ago. We also worked closely with Jeff H. the owner of Black Hills ammo Co. who came up with a very nice Sub Sonic rounds that works lovely through our platforms. That testing was done around 1997 I believe.

I will share my Intel with you, just give me a ring 310-275-8797.

Just for a Goof If you go with a 180 FB SP and use a very little amount of pistol powder you will push the round appx. 1025 fps and have good results....

Got to run I am eye ball deep with work...

Mike
    Tac Ops
    "Every Great Warrior deserves a Great Death"

FYI, ALL .22 target ammo is subsonic in case the .308 is too expensive or you want another idea. That should be plenty for foxes.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

We shoot high density 300 grain 30 caliber bullets with a flat base. They are very effective out to 300 yards, and about 5/8 MOA. Benchmark is an excellent powder for this type of work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads