.22LR Rimfire accuracy?

This is a discussion on .22LR Rimfire accuracy? within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Alright, more of a curious sort of 'I wonder if' question here. I was out shooting earlier today, plinking at 50-100 yard shots with my ...

.22LR Rimfire accuracy?

Alright, more of a curious sort of 'I wonder if' question here. I was out shooting earlier today, plinking at 50-100 yard shots with my basic, non modified, passed down from my grandfather .22 Truth be told I probably shoot more .22's than should be humanly allowed, hehe.

Anyway, I'm well aware, as most of you probably are, that a standard rimfire 22LR can potentially injure or kill at 1.5 miles, says so right on the box, whoohoo. Anyhow, What I'm curious of, is what is the actual accuracy coming from a non-professionally equipped rifle such as said weapon? What I'm asking is, would it be feasable to shoot after say 300 yards with said round.

Keep in mind, I'm asking about the round, not taking into account any MOA calculations.
    "I'm a patriot among people who somewhere along the way have lost the meaning of the word patriotism. And that worries me."

I would not take a shot over 150 yards with my .22 and I can get .5 or better with my custom 10/22 up to 150 yards.

Im sure giving the right circumstances you could hit much further but who would try it ?
    JOEY

SC Member #2507
    SASS#84934

Bill Of Rights Supporter

I would... and did. I have a basic plain-jane non-modified Remington Viper 522. I hit a 11 x 8 sheet of paper at 400 yards. It took me about 20 rounds before the first hit, though. I can hold sub-MOA at 100 yards with this rifle, but at 400, the shot groups were getting too sloppy for a repeatable shot. I was also arcing the shots a lot more than I would like... I wouldn't try it under hunting circumstances. It was fun to try just to say I have done it, though.
    There are three types of people in the world... those who can count, and those who cannot.

No, I wasn't considering it as a hunting condition. If I'm shooting a .22 at 400 yards it's the biggest damn rabbit or squirrel I've seen if I can grab an eye at that distance in a free-standing position. :lol:

Interesting to know what it's capable of, and the next time I have access to a 400 yard shot, I'll make sure to grab my .22 and a sheet of paper to see what happens.
    "I'm a patriot among people who somewhere along the way have lost the meaning of the word patriotism. And that worries me."

I'm definitely interested in the outcome of your shot, when you get the chance. It's always interesting to know what different rifles shoot like at different ranges.
    There are three types of people in the world... those who can count, and those who cannot.

Re: .22LR Rimfire accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbull180
    Truth be told I probably shoot more .22's than should be humanly allowed, hehe.
    Shooting .22 LR is "trigger time" - so NO shame in that at all... I do the same and tend to limit my "accuracy shots" to within 100 yards - but will ocasionally stretch out to 200 to lob one in..

Shooting is shooting - so no need to apoligise for what a man shoots. Cripes - I even practice with pellet guns and sometimes an "airsoft sniper" just to stay up (which is better than nothing at all).
    Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason...

I use Eley Tenex. I would have total confidence in an accurate shot at 300yds. Even back in the 70's and 80's (with the bullet technology they had then), the .22 was more than accurate enough to allow it for use in 200yd Target Competition shooting - and I'm not on about plates - I'm on about scored rings.

Can I vouch for this? Yup - I have my dads trophy cup on my shelf. 600 ex 600 at 200yds. Talk about living under a shadow!
    - - - A good rifleman understands the importance of the .22LR - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Phelps
    I would... and did. I have a basic plain-jane non-modified Remington Viper 522. I hit a 11 x 8 sheet of paper at 400 yards. It took me about 20 rounds before the first hit, though. I can hold sub-MOA at 100 yards with this rifle, but at 400, the shot groups were getting too sloppy for a repeatable shot. I was also arcing the shots a lot more than I would like... I wouldn't try it under hunting circumstances. It was fun to try just to say I have done it, though.
    Well there is nothing wrong with taking a shot like that on a target. I thought he meant more towards hunting than just shooting.

Sure you can take long shots with your .22 but as you say, it took 20 shots before hittign though. I have no reason to shoot mine that far and prob. wont. I have other rifles for that kind of shot. Nothing wrong with someone else doing it though. :wink: I can hold sub .5 moa at 150 yards with my custom 10/22 though and could def. hold under 1 moa at prob. up to 200 yards but no real reason for it.

I love shooting my .22s though. Fun and cheap.
    JOEY

SC Member #2507
    SASS#84934

Bill Of Rights Supporter

Ads