Federal xm762d and xm80762

This is a discussion on Federal xm762d and xm80762 within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; What the difference in this ammo the xm762d looks to have new brass the xm80762 has the anealed brass,Im thinking of stocking up on some ...

Federal xm762d and xm80762

What the difference in this ammo the xm762d looks to have new brass the xm80762 has the anealed brass,Im thinking of stocking up on some plinking ammo for M1A just wondering if this ammo will feed ok

Re: Federal xm762d and xm80762

Quote Originally Posted by private pyle
    What the difference in this ammo the xm762d looks to have new brass the xm80762 has the anealed brass,Im thinking of stocking up on some plinking ammo for M1A just wondering if this ammo will feed ok
    Ammo is confusing because lots, even with the same designation, change daily. One batch might not be the same as another batch. For example, I've seen the ammo the other way around, with the XM762D with the annealed necks and the XM80762 without. I'll assume you're not confused and offer that as one example of how ammo varies from lot to lot.

First off though, we know for sure that XM762D is the same as Federal's American Eagle AE380D, except with mil spec, thicker wall brass. Secondly we know for sure that XM762D uses a non-magnetic M80 ball bullet, opposed to the (mostly) magnetic bullets in XM80762, which indicates that the XM80762 is (mostly) using the M59 bullet instead. However, lots of XM80762 will often have rounds with shorter OALs mixed in, which tends to freak people out a little. Don't worry though, the long rounds have the M59 bullet and the shorter ones have the M80 bullet. This is just another example of military ammo being all mixed up and differing from lot to lot.

The fact that the XM80762 ammo is mixed up is most likely why it's designated "XM" in the first place. XM is the designator for ammo that is safe and loaded to factory spec, but was rejected by the military due to some mil spec shortcoming. The "M80" in XM80762 would lead me to believe that it's supposed to have M80 ball bullets instead of M59 bullets...Which is why some of it comes with M80 bullets and some of it comes with M59 bullets. Some jackhole at the factory dumped the wrong crate of bullets into the machine. Whoops!

Again, XM ammo is safe, it just didn't meet mil spec for some reason. Bad ammo is disassembled and reassembled to re-coup costs, and is given the "PD" designator (for "pull down"), and the boxes are marked "For Training Only." PD ammo is also safe to shoot, but the military doesn't send it to the field.

Why XM762D is XM ammo is anyone's guess. My guess is that due to it being identical to civilian AE380D, it probably doesn't meet a velocity requirement, some may lack sealed primers, and so forth.

In my experience, the XM762D is better ammo than the XM80762 even though they should theoretically be identical. All the XM762D I've ever had and/or seen had sealed primers, annealed necks and uniform bullets. XM80762, not so much. So the lesson here is, if you can inspect it before buying, do so. If you find a lot of ammo that has rounds of differing OALs, don't sweat it, just check the bullets with a magnet. If the long ones stick but the short ones don't, you've still got good ammo, just with different bullets. Sort 'em out when you get home and shoot 'em up.

All things being equal, I'd buy the stuff with the annealed necks because you might get an extra loading or two out of 'em since the necks start out soft to begin with (they get hardened through firing and resizing though; you'll have to re-anneal them to keep the necks soft).

As for whether or not it will feed in you M14, the fact that it's military ammo says it all: it'll feed into anything. Of course, M14s usually have generously sized chambers, which are frequently slightly ovular in shape (which is why M14 brass needs to be full length resized, if not small base resized due to this and frequently crooked chamber reaming too).

Hope this helps.

Recoil,thanks alot not to question the info at all,can I ask where you found it ,what site or book the info came from

My guess would be in his head. He knows a lot of things.
    Janvier

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." -Wernher von Braun

Janvier would be correct, except that I don't know all that much...I only know what I know about and only talk about what I know about.

Ads