The 155 grain Lapua Scenar .....

This is a discussion on The 155 grain Lapua Scenar ..... within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Is there anyone else out there in SC reloading land that has experienced the delights of the 155 grain Lapua Scenar bullet in their .308? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The 155 grain Lapua Scenar .....

Is there anyone else out there in SC reloading land that has experienced the delights of the 155 grain Lapua Scenar bullet in their .308?

I've just managed a couple of five round groups at around .4" at 100 metres ... this is very satisfying.

These things are impressive! .... mine were running at around 2850 fps .... at that speed the JBM ballistic programe says they are still super sonic at 1200 metres! ..... :shock:

I was using 44.8gr Varget and getting 2900fps (25" barrel) best groups were in the .2's at 100yds. When I tested at 300yds the 5 shot groups were usually 1" or so. I'd be using these things still but the 175gr SMK's are grouping a little better for me 300yds and further. Don't ask me why, when I seperate by measuring the O-give I have 4 or 5 tubs of bullets so the SMK's don't seem to be as high in quality.

APK
    I'm working on a load with these. So far my average was ~2850fps with my Sierra but I'm not done with it yet (time), and may not be for awhile...

And as you said Kiwi, around this range...they should be supersonic to around 1300yds (according to QL). Now...I probably couldn't hit a whole country at that range, and god knows my 19" bbl wasn't designed too, but I think this load has a lot of potential. I'll share what info I have when I get some more time.
    "He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
    -Thomas Paine

I have 2 loads using the 155 scenars in 308.

The benchrest load {Win cases, CCI primers, 43.6 gr Varget, 155 Scenar, OAL 2.820} has several 5-shot groups down in the 1s (1.7-1.99), and averages 0.37 from 4 5-shot groups from a box of 20.

The long range load {Win cases, CCI primers, 47.8 gr Varget, 155 Scenars, OAL = 2.948 or 0.015 from the lands} generally displays one 5-shot group in the 3s, 2 in the 4s-and 5s and one in the 6s from a box of 20 (when the idiot behind the trigger plays his part). This load uses a very stiff 47.8 gr of Varget and goes 2925-2950 from my factory Remmy 24" tube.

These are a little tighter than the 175 SMKs I used earlier, but not "that much". They are impressive bullets, indeed!

Hey good encouraging feed back guys ...

A mate and I are off this Saturday with some "hot-off-the-press" rounds to try in my Robar and he's trying them in his FN FAL with a DSArms medium contour match barrel .... he's hoping for .75" or better.

My 155 Scenar-launcer load is ... 47gr of AR2208 in Lapua brass primed with Federal 210 champions .... OAL is 72.11 mm (2.799")

These 155gr bullets I really think are a sweet spot with the 308.... I'm also interested in everyones results.

I will be doing an eval of factory 155gr match ammo as well this summer

MEL

I'm hoping to get some scenars this summer to try out as well. If they are still supersonic at 1300 that's VERY impressive IMO. I won't be shooting that far, about the farthest I can get out too around here right now is just over 600.

Branden
    Once you go FDAC, you'll never go back!

-Me

Also ... I was given 10 Berger 6.5 moly coated projectiles to try in my CG63 target rifle and I must say they look really nice!

The Berger guy here tells me they are releasing a new 30 cal target bullet of the same shape mid year, if it looks as good as the 6.5 projectile it should be a very good performer.

I am just judging by the shape/look of the thing .... it's very similar to the Lapua Scenar to look at .... very sleek! .... it may present OAL problems because it's so sleek, we shall see.

Anyway, only 32 hours until we shoot our Scenars ..... 8)

Wipe off the moly 'fore you shoot it. Dawn should take it right off. Only use moly if you intend to keep shooting moly.
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

"Dawn" ...... :? what ... ? so you leave them on a window sill on the East side of your house the night before you want to reload ... ??? ..... :wink:

I take it it's a detergent of some sort Tyler .. ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads