Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Winchester Super-X 180 grain...Good grain for .308?

9K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mr.rhtuner 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've been looking for good ammunition to buy for my Savage 10FP in .308 and I've come across fairly accessible ammo for a good price.

It's the Winchester Super-X 180 Grain. Anybody ever shoot it? any reviews on it?

I'm using it for target shooting and wondering what I should 'expect' from it?

Also, since I got the rifle I've been learning on 150 Grain Federal Soft point ammunition, but since I can't find that locally now my next bet is to shoot 180 grain for a similar price.

Any thoughts on that? My rifle has the 1 in 10" twist also.

#2 ·
If cost is no object, then Federal Gold Medal Match in 168 grain is my personal favorite for .308 winchester. I'm not sure about US state department rules on shipping ammo to Canada, but there are a lot of brandsof ammo that mele sells , such as HSM or Black Hills that are accurate, and more competyitive in price.

Jeff

#4 ·
pazzo said:
the 180 gr (soft point?) is crap. sure, it's cheap and it shoots, but it's inaccurate.

go w/ either Federal 168 gr Gold Medal MatchKing for shorter distances (out to 600 yds) or the Federal 175 gr Gold Medal MatchKing for out beyond 600 yds.

Thanks guys for the help.

Pazzo, what would I look at paying for a box of Federal 168gr matchking since your in Canada?

I know most of the gun shops locally are such ripoffs :evil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.