45 Long Colt vs. 44 Magnum?

This is a discussion on 45 Long Colt vs. 44 Magnum? within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hey guys, Indiana has a law that says we can hunt with pistol calibers now. I decided to buy a cheap lever rifle but can't ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

45 Long Colt vs. 44 Magnum?

Hey guys, Indiana has a law that says we can hunt with pistol calibers now. I decided to buy a cheap lever rifle but can't decide on what caliber. Which one of these two has the most knockdown power, and how far will it effectively kill a deer? I will not be handloading yet, so it's just factory loads. Thanks in advance.

Paul
    Being in the rain isn't so bad when you accept the fact that you're going to get wet.

FACTORY AMMO 44 mag has more power. You can get +P+ loads of 45 colt that will give better knockdown power and less pressure. The issue with these loads is they can NOT be used in all 45 colt firearms. They can be used in Ruger blackhawk or redhawk only. Your rifle MAY take the pressure if it is designed to take 44 mag as well, but I would not count on it.

I went with the 45 colt in my Blackhawk and will hopefully get a redhawk some time for a woods pistol to take dangerious game.

Confused now?
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

Only a little. I'm probably just going to get a used lever like a Puma or Winchester around $300, so it probably won't take those loads. I was leaning more towards the .44 magnum anyway, but I'm still not sure.

Paul
    Being in the rain isn't so bad when you accept the fact that you're going to get wet.

I think Marlin makes a lever 44 mag as well. Most factory 45 colt are made for cowboy action shooting and very weak. Don't get me wrong I think it is a superior round to the 44 mag when handloaded for the rugers, but for what you want the 44 mag is probably a better choice.
    John

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

+1 on using the 44mag for factory ammo, and the 45LC if handloading. the new hornady leverevolution ammo shows ballistics out to 200yds with enough energy to take deer out of a rifle.

Thanks for the help with the caliber selection. Now I am deciding on what kind of rifle to get. I like the Winchesters but I've heard that Marlin is pretty good, too. I am wanting an inexpensive rifle ($450 and under), so I have also been considering a Puma. I don't plan on using a scope, so drilled and tapped isn't a concern. Any suggestions?

Paul

The winchester isn't made any more. The Marlin will probably be a better built than the Puma. The Puma is made for coyboy action shooting. I know the Marlins are heavy duty so i suggest Marlin.
    John

hey

You should deff take a look at henry lever action rifles. They are very nice.

stephen

but if you could find one the winchester would probably make a better investment.

The Marlins and Henrys sound good, but they are a few hundred dollars out of my price range. I just want a rifle that is accurate up to 75 yards and durable enough so that I don't need to take care of it much. I think I'll just settle with the Puma. Thanks for the advice!

Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads