the Bob- now I'm just confused

This is a discussion on the Bob- now I'm just confused within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I know the .257 Roberts is a necked-down 7x57 mauser. But I just found 3 boxes reloaded by my Grandfather in the 40's, most of ...

the Bob- now I'm just confused

I know the .257 Roberts is a necked-down 7x57 mauser.

But I just found 3 boxes reloaded by my Grandfather in the 40's, most of headstamped .30-'06

Didn't realize you could do that.

holding one of the '06-stamped .257 cartridges up against a real '06, I see you'd have to trim the case wayyyy down and completely re-shape the whole thing, lot of work and maybe hard to do well. That must weaken the brass. I think I see why .257 Roberts is sorta famous for being under-loaded.
    "If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you couldn't learn otherwise" -Mark Twain

The .257 was a popular wildcat that turned commercial. The .30-06 was probably used for reasons of availability. 7mm Mauser was a European/South American military cartridge at the time, so the brass may not have been readily available to the loader of the time.

Jeff
    Jeff passed away on July 17th, 2009, he will be GREATLY missed by everyone here at Sniper Central. Video Thread

" We cannot direct the wind,but we can adjust the sails." -Bertha Calloway

www.second-amendment.org

Re: the Bob- now I'm just confused

Quote Originally Posted by taylorism
    I know the .257 Roberts is a necked-down 7x57 mauser.

But I just found 3 boxes reloaded by my Grandfather in the 40's, most of headstamped .30-'06

Didn't realize you could do that.

holding one of the '06-stamped .257 cartridges up against a real '06, I see you'd have to trim the case wayyyy down and completely re-shape the whole thing, lot of work and maybe hard to do well. That must weaken the brass. I think I see why .257 Roberts is sorta famous for being under-loaded.
    The lower pressure loads were primarily due to the lower pressure proofed Pre K-98 mauser actions being used at the time.
    Pigs get Fed. Hogs get Slaughtered.

I see. Interesting. All my .257 brass is this old stuff, I suppose its all been fired at least once since being reformed. I have a lot of once-fired '06, I'll probably make some of it into .257 just to have done it, but I'm guessing I'll get better results from 7x57 cases.
    "If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you couldn't learn otherwise" -Mark Twain

Re: the Bob- now I'm just confused

Quote Originally Posted by taylorism
    That's funny. I have a whole pile of 7x57 brass from the same source.

Realllllly! OK Maybe I can talk you into bringing some of that with you when you come down!

Are you shooting those loads in a modern/current commercial action? If so get some Win +p .257 Robts Brass when it's in stock :wink:
    Pigs get Fed. Hogs get Slaughtered.

No it's a 1938 vz.33 sportered in the 40's. But I've come to find out most of the rounds I shot through it as a kid were loaded to over 3000fps and there's never been a hint of trouble. Solid Czech-made action made before they were fully NAZI-occupied, I'll take a vz.33 over a g33/40 any day.

Ads