Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Can a Savage 10 "short" action be upgraded to 6.5-

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Dust_Remover 
#1 ·
I have a savage 10 tactical that I was just curious if I could do a barrel change and have it chambered for 6.5x284. I like the long range potential and performance of that cartridge, however I don't have the funds to do another rifle (because of a wife and 2 little girls). I'm sure i'd have to have some bolt work done, however i've read that some people call the Savage short action more of a medium action. Simply put, can I do it? I know it'll be single shot, but that's no biggie, it's pretty much that way now.

Branden

#2 ·
Yes you can. The only problem is if you want to seat the long, high BC, bullets into the lands you won't be able to mag feed. This may be dissapointing but consider a 260 rem. You will have significantly better barrel life over the 6.5x284 and will be able to mag feed the high BC bullets (assuming you have the chamber cut with a standard reamer). The ballistics of the 260 aren't quite as good, but you'll appreciate the extra barrel life if you're on a budget.

Edit: did your post change :?:

Since you don't mind single feeding, there are no issues and you don't even have to change the bolt face.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info, i'm not too worried about barrel life. I shoot as much as I can which still isn't much so the barrel will still last quite a long while for me. That's good to know that I don't have the change the bolt face at all!

Branden

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.