.300 win mag vs .300 RUM

This is a discussion on .300 win mag vs .300 RUM within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Just purely from a preformance standpoint- forget recoil, shoulder punishment, developing a flinch...forget all that. Given available factory ammo, available component bullets, published loads, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

.300 win mag vs .300 RUM

Just purely from a preformance standpoint- forget recoil, shoulder punishment, developing a flinch...forget all that.

Given available factory ammo, available component bullets, published loads, and cost: which is the better preformer for LR apps?
    "If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you couldn't learn otherwise" -Mark Twain

Oh come on
    59 views and not even a mercy post?
    "If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you couldn't learn otherwise" -Mark Twain

I'll give you my personal views on the .300 RUM and .300Win. that have been posted here many times , usually with the WSM thrown in for good measure.

The .300RUM is more powerful, and probably a better long range cartridge, ballistically . That's about the end of the advantages, in my opinion.The .300RUM is hard on cases, and the cases made for it are soft, so you don't get many reloads from them, although they don't have the PITA belted cases. The extra speed is comes with extra heat and barrel wear. Only a couple companies I'm aware of make brass for it. It's expensive to load for, or to purchase loaded. Because of the size of the cartridge, Savage has a 'special' receiver for the RUMs and WSMs

That said, my Savage 110 in .300RUM is quite accurate, but heavy.It's sub minute accurate, but barely so. It could improve with better gunsmithing. It shines with bullets 200 grains and up.

The .300 Winchester Magnum is fast. not as fast as the RUM, but still plenty fast. It's cartridges are made by many manufacturers, and are harder alloy brass. They require less powder, are easy enough to load for, despite the belt, and are easier on the shoulder. There is a lot more data available for the .300 Win Mag. ammo is less expensive at the store. I don't think the accuracy is much different, but it would take a better marksman than me to answer that. The .300 Win Mag works best with bullets of 168 - 200 grains , and will shoot heavier.

I'll throw the .300 WSM in for good measure. The .300 WSM is fast, along the lines of the .300H&H, maybe a tad faster. It was made for short action rifles in hunting conditions, to make a rifle shorter and handier, as well as lighter. It works well with bullets in the same range as the .300 Winchester magnum.

As a personal choice, If I could only keep one, I'd keep my .300 Winchester Magnum.I think it is best overall.

Jeff
    Jeff passed away on July 17th, 2009, he will be GREATLY missed by everyone here at Sniper Central. Video Thread

" We cannot direct the wind,but we can adjust the sails." -Bertha Calloway

www.second-amendment.org

Oh ok here you go.

I would choose the 300WM if you don't reload as there aren't any match loads for the RUM that I know of. If you handload then you can push the RUM faster and it would be a better round ballistically and get you farther out there than the 300WM but that said the WM will get you plenty far and if I needed to go farther I would probably go up to a .338. Maybe a 338 RUM if you wanted to keep the cost down compared to the Lapua.

Both use the same .30 bullets it just comes down to how fast they can push them. The RUM would push the 240s faster but I would probably use the 208/210 gran bullets. For brass the WM has Win brass which is really good and not too expensive and also Hornady, Norma, Nosler, and Remington. The RUM has Rem brass which is ok. Never been a fan of Rem brass. Also has Nosler brass which is much more expensive.

Oi
    I personally dont see very many 300rum in the F-Class..its more 300wm and larger amount of 300wsm.. :P

Thanks guys I appreciate it. I suppose I could have used the search button, don't know what I was thinking. Anyway, sounds like the WinMag or WSM, I'm thinking winmag for me. The maybe move right past the RUM to .338 LM.

Either way those projects are on hold now as I'm now officially unemployed, hope that changes soon. I can however play around with unfinished projects and maybe start some new smaller projects. I plan on reloading a lot. And I'm gonna hunt crows like nobody's business over the next few months.

Oh crickey, my eyes! Dang, Cuz, nix that pic!

How ya doin, man? Should be getting lots of fishing in.

Ya I should be
    good idea

Just razzin' ya. If you're loading a bunch, I can send you all my brass, and let you fill it up!

Did you end up with any of Grandpa's old shellholders? I have a couple presses missing shellholders. If so maybe we can work a trade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads