Difference between Berger VLD Target and Hunting bullets?

This is a discussion on Difference between Berger VLD Target and Hunting bullets? within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'm online at Midway to order some Berger VLD's and they have 2 different versions it seems, ones called a "target bullet" and the other ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bicknergen

Thread: Difference between Berger VLD Target and Hunting bullets?

I'm online at Midway to order some Berger VLD's and they have 2 different versions it seems, ones called a "target bullet" and the other is a "hunting bullet". Now obviously i'm wanting target grade bullets that can double as a hunting bullet like Berger advertises. Is there a difference between these two? There's no difference in the BC. And one more thing, i've been shooting 168's mostly, and i've run the numbers and the 175's are ballistically better than the 168's. I know it's best to shoot them to see how well they do in my rifle, however should I just find another source of the 168's? Or order the 175's? ALSO, I like the Lapua Scenars, but I don't know how they perform in a hunting application. Does anyone have any experience hunting with them in a .308 class rifle?

Branden
    Once you go FDAC, you'll never go back!

-Me

Oi
    Im sure the design of the bullet itself is alot different on the inside vs the outside which is essentially the same as the VLD match...

The color of the box! :wink:

As for the 168 vs 175, that is up to you. I have an FN with a 1/12 twist which makes the 168's the right choice, but I found that the 175's to be just as accurate and more so at longer ranges.
    Roses are red, my locktite is blue, without any ammo, what am I to do?

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

A box of Berger VLD Match .30 cal bullets in 210 grain came with a note suggesting that I use them in hunting. I'd call up Berger and ask them what bullets they suggest. Their web site has target and hunting bullets, many of their bullets are in both categories.

Jeff
    Jeff passed away on July 17th, 2009, he will be GREATLY missed by everyone here at Sniper Central. Hidden Content Hidden Content

" We cannot direct the wind,but we can adjust the sails." -Bertha Calloway

Hidden Content

the difference between the Berger bullets designated for both target and hunting use and those designated only for target use is the thickness of the jackets. The regular VLDs have a thinner jacket and have proven to be a very good hunting bullet too. the new Thick Jacket bullets are not recommended for hunting use.

JeffVN
    1976-1980
    2/2 Echo, 2/2 STA, 3/9 STA, SCAMP

As far as scenars go for hunting I would stay away from them. They are a pretty tough bullet and have a tendency to pencil through.

Quote Originally Posted by Dust_Remover View Post
    I'm online at Midway to order some Berger VLD's and they have 2 different versions it seems, ones called a "target bullet" and the other is a "hunting bullet". Now obviously i'm wanting target grade bullets that can double as a hunting bullet like Berger advertises. Is there a difference between these two? There's no difference in the BC. And one more thing, i've been shooting 168's mostly, and i've run the numbers and the 175's are ballistically better than the 168's. I know it's best to shoot them to see how well they do in my rifle, however should I just find another source of the 168's? Or order the 175's? ALSO, I like the Lapua Scenars, but I don't know how they perform in a hunting application. Does anyone have any experience hunting with them in a .308 class rifle?

Branden
    So, I am shooting 210grn VLD Hunter and Targets out of a 700 Sendero. 1-10 twist 75.5 grains of h1000 for both bullets. Norma Brass. The Hunter's were giving me 2850-2875 fps and the Targets were only givng me about 2725-2760 fps. I am assuming that this has to do with the thicker copper on the targets? Anyone else run into this?
    007Sniper likes this.

bricknergen is right on! Jacket thickness

Last edited by 007Sniper; 02-16-2017 at 09:30 AM.

Either way, their hunting bullet jacket was made tougher a few years ago and have not been as good as the vld target bullet ever since then. Some think they have made them harder yet more recently but as I do not use them I cannot confirm that.

Ads