Moly vs Copper

This is a discussion on Moly vs Copper within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; What is the difference between?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moly vs Copper

Moly vs Copper

What is the difference between?
    “The cause we are engaged in is so just and righteous that we must try to rise superior to every obstacle in its supportâ€

Re: Moly vs Copper

Quote Originally Posted by EricF517
    What is the difference between?
    Oh about $100 per hundred. :lol:
    You thought I've been joking but you'll be sorry when the Star Cruisers arrive!

Moly is a coating, like teflon, that makes the bullet slicker, so it can gain more velocity by less friction. It's still copper jacketed. A lot of long range shooters use them to get a bit better performance at extreme ranges.
    I found this article that should be helpful.

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/moly.htm
    Jeff
    Jeff passed away on July 17th, 2009, he will be GREATLY missed by everyone here at Sniper Central. Video Thread

" We cannot direct the wind,but we can adjust the sails." -Bertha Calloway

www.second-amendment.org

Thanks for the article. I looked around but only found stuff for sale and no real info on them.
    “The cause we are engaged in is so just and righteous that we must try to rise superior to every obstacle in its supportâ€

Advice: Do a lot of research into molly before comitting a gun to use molly bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
    Advice: Do a lot of research into molly before comitting a gun to use molly bullets.
    The reason he said that was because you cannot go back and forth and get good accuracy usually. YMMV
    You thought I've been joking but you'll be sorry when the Star Cruisers arrive!

I shoot both in the same rifle and don't have any trouble going between them. That said, if you want to remove molly use Wipe-Out. It will emulsify and lift it out.

advice needed

Hey guys, I'm a rookie precision shooter and just purchased my first bolt action rifle, a new Remington 700 sps tactical .308, a week ago. Based on a friends recomendation I picked up 120 rounds of black hills moly coated 168gr ammunition and have been waiting for all my cleaning stuff to come in before I take it to the range to "break it in." I also wanted to try some HSM ammo because of the great comparison reviews here. Since buying the moly coated stuff I'd read some things that makes me hesitant to try it.

Basically my question is this: What would you all recomend as far as moly vs copper rounds for a new rifle and a new shooter? I want to treat this rifle right and I'm hesitant to just jump into things as I dont want to screw up my barrel out of ignorance. I understand the basics of why you shouldn't switch between copper and moly (I think) and I understand the basic pros and cons of moly coated rounds. However I'm looking for some opinions from people who know a lot more about this type of thing than I do. I read the article that was linked above. Great source of info but Im interested in what some of you guys think. Thanks in advance!
    ~Brand

Live hard, play Harder.

don't try and break the rifle in with molly. just get some good old cheap stuff and break it in.. I had aguy pring me arifle that was shooting like crap and after three days of working on it and sitting for full 24 hours on a electric bore cleaner i got all the molly out. i have acouple rifles i shoot molly only in, then i have one that gets what ever i have in my hand molly on top of copper and copper on top of molly.

Tom

It's just a matter of choice. Moly will make your barrel last longer. it is suppose to be more accurate. A lot I mean a lot less cleaning. You can hear two sides to this with no wrong or right. I have some moly rifles and some non.They are shoot about the same but I clean the moly barrels a lot less.

The USMC rifle team is using molly's in their tournaments rifles.They also dry fire their weapons all the time will no ill effects.So everyone has an opinion go with what you feel best

So I think its the shooter choice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads