Remington primers.

This is a discussion on Remington primers. within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Has anyone used Remington primers 9 1/2 ? Seems to be the only one I can find out here in the high desert. Any feedback ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remington primers.

Has anyone used Remington primers 9 1/2 ? Seems to be the only one I can find out here in the high desert. Any feedback would be great.
    Serg.

Never had any complaints when I've used them. In my case I've got good access to CCI and then Fed, so I tend to stick with them but if the Rem's were all I could get then I'd use them.
    You thought I've been joking but you'll be sorry when the Star Cruisers arrive!

They are good primers in my opinion.

If I had to rate large rifle primers, at least for use in a .308 Win cartridge, the line-up would be:

Federal 210 GM
    Winchester WLR
    CCI 34
    Federal 210
    CCI 200
    Remington 9 1/2
    CCI BR2
    “Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of an armed man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never care for anything else thereafter.â€

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger_Puller
    If I had to rate large rifle primers, at least for use in a .308 Win cartridge, the line-up would be:

Federal 210 GM
    Winchester WLR
    CCI 34
    Federal 210
    CCI 200
    Remington 9 1/2
    CCI BR2
    Would you please explain your basis for rating them in this order. Very curious.

I have used them in both my 7mm Rem and 300 wby. They are good primers. Never had one fail to fire and produced sub half minute groups with them.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

Quote Originally Posted by POGO57
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger_Puller

Federal 210 GM
    Winchester WLR
    CCI 34
    Federal 210
    CCI 200
    Remington 9 1/2
    CCI BR2
    Would you please explain your basis for rating them in this order. Very curious.
    Wondering the same thing.
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

My comment was based on a test performed by Gary Sciuchetti for an article that appeared in the Dec/Jan issue of Handloader Magazine.

Using identical components with the exception being the primers, Mr. Scuichetti loaded 20 rounds each of .308 Win cartridges using Federal brass, 168 gr Berger Match bullets, and 45 gr of Varget powder and the primers listed.

He then fired four, five round groups at 100 yards and compared the group sizes. The overall average group sizes were as follows:

Federal 210 GM: 0.4844"
    Winchester WLR: 0.5156"
    CCI #34: 0.6094"
    Federal 210: 0.6250"
    CCI 200: 0.6719"
    Remington 9 1/2: 0.7344"
    CCI BR-2: 0.7500"

Granted 0.2656â€
    “Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of an armed man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never care for anything else thereafter.â€

Thanks for explaining your reasons...much appreciated.

I too read that article and found it very informative. In fact, I've pointed a few people to it as an excellent example of how to develop a load. It's very good for people just starting out.

That said, to draw a general conclusion that all of the brands mentioned will perform for all loads developed for all rifles in all calibers in a similar manner is incorrect. The article gives one specific situation and from that you have made a generalization. That's faulty logic.

A more valid but still limited way of showing which primers are better (as if that could ever be defined) would be to look at which ones are used in competition. The most used would be placed at the top with lesser used ones going down the list. The list would also have to be weighted for how successful the shooters were. Given enough time (data) a trend might be developed showing some primer being more successful than another.

Bottom line is that this question cannot be answered definitively..yet. However, the original question can be....Remington primers are certainly usable.

Did he shoot 30 five-round groups with each primer? If not, there is no statistical significance to the data.

How many times were the cartridges fired before tested? Where in the cleaning cycle was he? Were they all of the same lot? Were bullets and powder of the same lot?

Also note, because it worked in one rifle, doesn't mean its the same for all rifles.
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads