.300 win mag vs. .308

This is a discussion on .300 win mag vs. .308 within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hopefully I wont start a huge feud among us all. Really just wanting to know every ones opinion about these two calibers .300 win mag ...

.300 win mag vs. .308

Hopefully I wont start a huge feud among us all.

Really just wanting to know every ones opinion about these two calibers .300 win mag and .308, hear great things about both just wondering if you guys have comments about either. Also did not know if the barrel life will last longer on the .308 vs the other? just being curious what is thought of these two rounds and how they act. thanks
    Fear nothing for the only thing to fear is fear itself.

search function will give a lot of answers about this. Also Mel has write ups on both of these in the equipment reviews section.

Both are fine rounds for it's intended purpose. I'm a magnum guy thus I like the 300 over the 308 but that is just me. Lets cover these a bit though:

-It has been around for a LONG time (since 1952)
    -It shoots light to mid-weight 30 caliber rounds well
    -There is tons of data on this round
    -The barrel life is exceptional
    -You have good brass selection
    -It is cheap to shoot
    -If you are wanting to run heavy (180+ grain) bullets this is the WRONG round

300 Win Mag
    -It has been around a while itself (since 1963)
    -It shoots heavier 30 caliber bullets fairly well (not the fastest 300 mag by any means)
    -Again tons of data on this round
    -The barrel life is significantly lower then 308 due to this round being slightly overbored & running at higher pressures))
    -Good selection of brass
    -Still fairly economical to shoot

That is my take on these rounds. However I'm not a huge fan of either. But I'm strange like that, I have a thing of odd ball rounds.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

All depends on what you want.
    I am dyslexia of Borg, futility is resistant, your &#* will be laminated.

The People's Moderator!

If you enjoy going to the range and busting caps all afternoon get a .308. The 300 wM is a great shooter - but it isn't exactly the best for extended range sessions in a basic rifle setup. You can put a heavy bull barrel and a heavy stock on it and tame it down alot... but it will still recoil alot more than a 308 with the same mods.

Swede
    USMC '02- '06

"Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands." - Clint Eastwood

You aren't comparing like cartridges. It's like comparing a Chevy pickup truck to a Kenworth. The pickup can't successfully haul an over the road trailer, and a KW is too much to pick up groceries a block away. The .308, with it's smaller boiler room, isn't as long legged as the .300 Win Mag. Both shoot the same diameter bullets. The .300 Win Mag can shoot the higher B/C bullets that .308 has to offer (200+ grains), but at the cost of substantially heavier recoil. If shooting targets 700 yards away is your plan, the .308 Win is plenty, and it isn't worth the planetary relocation the heavy mags are famous for. If you want to kill moose 1200 yards away, the .308 is going to be very hard pressed to accomplish the task.

It boils down to energy and range vs comfort. I use both rifles, as well as a .300 RUM and a .300 WSM. As 1000 yard target goes, a better compromise might be a 7mm Rem.Mag, a .243 Win or a .260 Rem. As far as hunting goes, get the meatier rifle for long range. Pick the caliber that most closely fits your needs. Keep in mind that heavy/uncomfortable recoil can spoil your shooting experience, so you shouldn't bother with it unless you need it.

My opinion, of course.

Jeff
    Jeff passed away on July 17th, 2009, he will be GREATLY missed by everyone here at Sniper Central. Video Thread

" We cannot direct the wind,but we can adjust the sails." -Bertha Calloway

www.second-amendment.org

Re: .300 win mag vs. .308

Quote Originally Posted by Colby84
    Hopefully I wont start a huge feud among us all.

Really just wanting to know every ones opinion about these two calibers .300 win mag and .308, hear great things about both just wondering if you guys have comments about either. Also did not know if the barrel life will last longer on the .308 vs the other? just being curious what is thought of these two rounds and how they act. thanks
    308 can shoot accurately out to 1300 yards.
    300 WM can shoot accurately out to 1700 yards.

To achieve these distances you must reload your own ammo and develop the loading to the gun in question. Off the shelf ammo will subtract 250 +/-yards from the above.

Ads