260 Rem vs 6.5 Creedmoor

This is a discussion on 260 Rem vs 6.5 Creedmoor within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; You've got Fluffy to blame for this post. I was happy with the idea of a 243/6mm until the cat stuck it's nose in and ...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 260 Rem vs 6.5 Creedmoor

260 Rem vs 6.5 Creedmoor

You've got Fluffy to blame for this post. I was happy with the idea of a 243/6mm until the cat stuck it's nose in and suggested a 260 Rem.

I'm researching a project to compliment my 30-06 112 Savage. I want to stick with a Savage SA and am looking at a rifle that will offer me long range target performance and small game (coyotes/deer) capability.

I had originally thought that a 243 would be good but barrel wear might be an issue. I don't want to find out I'm just getting enthusiastic when I have to swap out the barrel.

Having looked at the 6.5mm options, I'm curious about the Rem vs Creedmoor. I want reliable feeding and imagine the Rem will provide that but not sure about the shoulder on the Creedmoor.

Thoughts and experiences welcome.
    Savage M-112 F/B/VVSS - 30-06
    Savage Mk.II BV - 0.22
    Ruger 10/22 Semi Custom - 0.22
    Remmington 870 12 Gauge
    3x SMLE 0.303 Lee Enfield
    1x No.4 0.303 Lee Enfield
    3x 7.92x57 Mausers
    2x SKS
    1x M1 Garand
    1x M305 (M1A/M14)
    2x Mosin Nagant

Even if you have to swap barrels... a Savage is easy with the nut wrench
    and gauges.

Brownells # 436-100-010
    Savage Barrel Nut Wrench 47 bucks
    Guns are not violent, criminals are.

I know it's not a big deal to swap a barrel, but once I've got a gun shooting the way I like it, I like to shoot.

My Dad and I have worn out and thrown away about 10 mags for my Mk.II BVSS 22 rimfire. Not that we're expecting to wear out the barrel anytime soon, but between us we put over 6000 rds through it in the first six months I had the rifle.

Not that I'd shoot a centrefire at that rate, but I'd like to get a few seasons out of a barrel rather than just one.
    Savage Mk.II BV - 0.22
    Remmington 870 12 Gauge
    3x 7.92x57 Mausers
    2x SKS
    1x M1 Garand
    1x M305 (M1A/M14)
    2x Mosin Nagant

If the 6.5 Creedmore cases are vailable to you, it's a good round that a lot of competitive folks are using. The .260 Rem. is more widely available, and can easily be necked up from .243 Winchester. I load for a .260 Remington and a 6.5x55 Swede, and both are impressive rounds in their own right.

Any round that has the energy for 1000 yard is going to require some speed. The .243 Winchester isn't that bad of a barrel burner, especially with heavy bullets like 100 grain, or 115 grain. A 55 grain bullet in a .234 is a 4000 fps bullet. However, a bullet of 100 grains or more is going to be around 3000 fps or slightly less. A .308 Win, 260 rem, and .243 have almost the same powder capacity. The ballistic co-efficient of the 115 grain Berger VLD is around .550 . The 6.5 140 grain bullet is around .600 . A .308 Berger 175 Match bullet is around 518 B/C. Keep in mind, heavier bullets have heavier recoil.

Jeff
    Jeff passed away on July 17th, 2009, he will be GREATLY missed by everyone here at Sniper Central. Video Thread

" We cannot direct the wind,but we can adjust the sails." -Bertha Calloway

www.second-amendment.org

I was under the understanding that the barrel burning characteristics of the 243 had more to do with throat erosion due to burn pattern than velocity.

I know velocity will have an effect, but wasn't sure how much in this case.

Anyone have any practical comparison of 243 Win and 260 Rem for target shooting. Pros and cons of each?
    Savage Mk.II BV - 0.22
    Remmington 870 12 Gauge
    3x 7.92x57 Mausers
    2x SKS
    1x M1 Garand
    1x M305 (M1A/M14)
    2x Mosin Nagant

I have shot the .243 with the 115 DTACs and now shoot the 6.5 Creedmoor in sniper comps. The .243 shoots flatter by about 4 MOA at 1000 but as far as wind it is only about .5-.75 MOA difference between the .243 and the 6.5 Creedmoor, which is what is important to me. I worry more about the wind than the elevation. Both rounds work great in competitions. Both feed reliably from AI mags in DBM systems.

A major plus for the Creedmoor is that you can buy excellent factory match ammo which is decently priced at about $24/20. I have used the factory loads to win a couple of matches, one with only having the rifle for 2 weeks, and my team mate just took 4th at the SH Cup a couple of weeks ago. It shoots great.

Both can be handloaded to good velocities. I can load the 140 AMAX to 2870fps in my 6.5 Creedmoor with no pressure. The .243 can be loaded pretty hot too.

Since this recently came up, I thought it might be worth while bringing this up to date. Most of the things I "know" are based on information that is clearly stale.

A quote from Zak Smith when he did a comparison of .260 vs 6.5 Creedmoor basically said, "In the end, neither of these new upstart cartridges did anything for me that the .260 didn't. With the new Reloder 17 powder, I am now launching the 139gr Scenar at just over 2900 fps from my 26" Rock Creek barrel." He also noted along the way that he was having pressure problems with the 6.5 Creedmoor. But this review was done in 2009 and a lot appears to have changed since then.

It's rather difficult sometimes on the interweb to determine how current information is, because articles and reviews are frequently not dated. This is extremely frustrating when trying to gather information.

For example, one of the questions that it's really hard to get an answer to has to do with rebuilding a rifle. If someone has a .308, I know that they can replace the barrel with a .260 and be just fine - everything else will work - but I'm less certain about a Creedmoor. At least one reference I have run across says that you have to replace the bolt and that your old AICS mags may not work. I really cannot determine if that's a valid issue or not.

Anyhow, I'd be interested in hearing how people think that these two calibers compare TODAY. In ease of upgrade, cost, available ammo and reloading supplies, etc.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

This question comes up a lot. The answer depends more on the shooter, than either of the cartridges.

If the shooter in question is an avid reloader, then the 260 would seem the better choice.

If the shooter in question is not and avid reloader, then the 6.5 creedmoor would seem the better choice.

The truth of the matter is, the cartridges are basically interchangeable. They both are capable of virtually the same things, to the point of being indistinguishable. So other considerations become more important. The 6.5CM has very affordable match-grade ammo generally readily available. This makes it a big plus for people that are not reloading. Hornady 6.5CM brass is generally soft, and shows pressure early, when there should be no pressure. This isn't very cool for reloaders. On the other hand, Lapua 260 rem brass makes it a sure winner for handloaders. You can definitely push lapua brass harder than hornady. No question about it.

So really, in my opinion its a question of what kind of shooter we're talking about which determines the correct choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Orkan View Post
    If the shooter in question is an avid reloader, then the 260 would seem the better choice.
    If the shooter in question is not and avid reloader, then the 6.5 creedmoor would seem the better choice.
    That explains quite a bit.

Sometimes it's very frustrating trying to learn everything there is to know. But I'll keep at it.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

Enjoy the journey more than the destination.
    It will help to keep you from being frustrated. This is one of those sports where you could work on it every day, for the rest of your life. It wouldn't be a wasted life, and I don't believe you'd ever figure it all out. By that measurement, I don't know a damn thing yet. Though I hope to learn most of it, and pass as much on as possible by the time I'm in a box.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Ads