Weighing 22lr bullets

This is a discussion on Weighing 22lr bullets within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I understand that this caliber have very limited accuracy at long distances. Yesterday I was conducting tests at 100 yds and though my poa was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Weighing 22lr bullets

I understand that this caliber have very limited accuracy at long distances.
    Yesterday I was conducting tests at 100 yds and though my poa was constant my poi was not. I was using bulk stuff hv and subsonic using a remington 513T. My question is has anyone gone to the lengths of weighing 22lr from bulk packaging and than separating it for a more consistant poi. I am considering purchasing a digital scale but did not want to plunk down the money if it will not make POI more constant.
    I was successful in shooting three orange skeet traps at 230 yds but it took about 34 shots and alot of SWAG before I succeeded since my scope does not have enough MOA elevation for that distance with this caliber. It was a cheap redhead by cabelas.
    Only two defining forces have offered to die for you. One is Jesus Christ for your soul, the other is the American soldier, for your freedom.

Weighing .22 ammo is a a common thing for accuracy. some benchrest shooters even have a rim thickness gauge and sort by that as well.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

I posted this question recently on a rimfire bulletin board, and they all said I'd be wasting my time. If they check anything, it's rim thickness, but mostly they just said "buy the match stuff"
    for what it's worth, I got terrible results form federal bulk and thunderbolt bulk .22 in my 10/22. You could hear the difference, some real duds, I can't believe they even cycled the bolt, and often they didn't. The POI change would be as much as 10" at 50yds. Total bummer to get three shots touching, and have the fourth miss the target completely. anyway, i bought two bricks of Blazer bulk .22, and it's a vast improvement. At 25 yds I can shoot repeatable, reliable 1" groups at 25 yds with open sights and no rest of any kind... I then read on the internet about people who grouped horribly with Blazer and did great with Federal..
    the point is, maybe a change in brands would help considerably. The rimfire guru's said don't bother weighing, and I believe them.

10/22's tend to prefer certain types of ammo and it won't have a thing to do with price.

I agree though that some of the bulk stuff is really erratic.
    You thought I've been joking but you'll be sorry when the Star Cruisers arrive!

Intresting. I heard people would buy blazer and weigh it to get the low charges out. They would throw out the ones with a big diffrance. I hear rim thickness is a factor. I agree match ammo is a better optin for accuracy. I am not a rimfire gruru however and will take advice from others on the matter.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

Well I just got hooked on 22lr this year and have 5 different rifles and each rifle likes something different. My straightest shooter the Remington 513T disliked the expensive stuff like eley club and tenex at 50 yds, could be because of the long barrel 27" but did great with federal bulk target and cci standard. I'll be testing and logging results and see how each ammo reacts at 50, 100, and 200 yds. I have found out that some of the hyper velocity rounds still stayed supersonic at 200 yds which my rifle shot well specifically the winchester hp and the aguila super max. The stingers I could not use because the cartridge was long where as the super max from aguila is a littler shorter but right for the chamber. Some the hyper velocities may also become subsonic by the time the round leaves the barrel, so there is no transonic buffer to worry about.
    Only two defining forces have offered to die for you. One is Jesus Christ for your soul, the other is the American soldier, for your freedom.

hey

Hey guys, well i am one of those smallbore guys so if you got any questions feel free to ask.

Well with the weighing of ammo, well i have never personally done it. I can see the use of it in cheaper ammo but the problem with the .22 is that when you get out to 100 yards and more, no matter what you do its very hard to keep them hitting the same hole. I think for cheaper ammo it may work but i think that the rim thickness gauges are the way to go with cheaper ammo. that will throw off your shot more then the weight of it in my opinion as i really dont think there is much weight difference.

The rim thickness gauge will help you separate the ammo into different groups for the different sizes you may get. I use to do this a lot with the cheaper ammo but i just use good quality match ammo and havent done it in a while.

You will notice with the better ammo that the thickness of the rims do not vary as much as the cheaper stuff.

I have been in matches where i was shooting all 10s, and then you get that shot that you know was a 10 and it wasnt. almost 100 percent of the time it was the rim was slightly different then the rest of the group.

But i have found that smallbore rifles really are picky on what type of ammo they like, they tend to like different ammo in different guns from different lots. But this can really depend on what type of groups you are looking for. I think i usually look for tighter patterns then most of you guys do here with the rimfires. But i shoot a little different sport.

I have found buying good quality match and practice ammo is one of the best things to get good groups, you should really start ammo testing with mid grade match ammo to really see how they perform.

And yes some ammo do perform better at 100 yards then do some at 50 yards. It is interesting how it works but some ammo just performs differently with a different gun.

personally i hate the cheap federal and the federal american eagle ammo. That stuff is good for plinking but when not for shooting groups. If you want a mid grade ammo thats not to much money to play with groups look at the Sk jagd ammo like the sk jagde standard plus, or the match, or RWS target rifle.

Those are good starter .22 ammo that performs well is clean, and very consistent. I train with both those rounds and have used both in matches and have great results at 50 feet and 50 yards. Just depends on what your gun likes.

Also if you planning on shooting groups at 100 yards please stay away from HV .22lr ammo. This will not help you usually. as with the .22lr if the velocity drops from super sonic to sub sonic before it hits the target you accuracy will not be good. The .22 tends to drop accuracy for some reason in that transition stage. Theres a reason why you dont see good match ammo in HV.

But hey if you need any more help feel free to ask.

but thats just my .02 cents. good luck

stephen

How much powder is in a 22 LR?

With the variance in bullet weight from one to the next, and the variance in case weight from one to the next, how do you know what's what?
    I am dyslexia of Borg, futility is resistant, your &#* will be laminated.

The People's Moderator!

hey

Thats the problem with weighing ammo, to many variables to include. since it is all preloaded ammo it would be tuff to figure out what was what and what was causing it to weight more or less. thats why rim thickness is the way to go if you want to work with cheaper ammo. just a little time consuming considering how fast some of use shoot .22lr ammo.

stephen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads