.308 versus .30-06?

This is a discussion on .308 versus .30-06? within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Great buy, those are one of the best mil surps on the market...would cost a bundle if made today. If the barrel is in great ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Great buy, those are one of the best mil surps on the market...would cost a bundle if made today.

If the barrel is in great shape, could be sub moa capable.
    I am dyslexia of Borg, futility is resistant, your &#* will be laminated.

The People's Moderator!

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzleblast
    Great buy, those are one of the best mil surps on the market...would cost a bundle if made today.
    If the barrel is in great shape, could be sub moa capable.

maybe in like 40 years the m-24 wil be mil surp--thatd be so cool...i'd buy like 5........but itd only be good if they were replaced by other remmys!

dom
    "A rifle is like a human. The stock is the skeleton, the scope is the eyes, the action is the brain, and the barrel is the heart.
    But you, the man behind the rifle, you are the soul."

-"Practice is a worn out snap-cap." -Yours truly

Recoil is identical between .308 and .30-06, in that recoil is a function of bullet mass action and reaction. If anything, perceived recoil is less in the usually heavier 06 chambered rifles.
    Those who perceive a heavier recoil from 06 are feeling the jet thrust, which can be effectively reduced by using proper loads of different powders.
    The only scientific way to demonstrate the difference is by using the same make and model of rifle cambered in each cartridge and suspending the rifles from wires anchored in an overhead beam, then firing them with bowden cables. Firing the same bullet weight from each, when loaded for the same velocity, free recoil is virtually identical in both rifles. Try it, if you don't believe it.
    Perceived recoil is subjective. After having fired her .25 Colt auto pistol, then firing a GM 1911, my wife informed me that the .25 has more kick. Go figure.
    Stand by your glasses steady,
    This world is a world of lies,
    So, here's to the dead already,
    And hurragh for the next man that dies.

i'll keep my 300 win mag an just suck it up when it comes to the beatings on my shoulder, besides - when, group shooting, do i plan on needing more than one well placed shot? i don't. especially when hunting, shot placement is the second most important thing, behind only marksmenship
    USMC '02- '06

"Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands." - Clint Eastwood

Yeah, that's pretty much true. Group shooting will show how consistent your rifle is, but as long as you already know it is satisfactory for hunting, all that's really going to matter is the cold bore shot, like you said.

I'm good for 25-30 shots with the 300 Win Mag from a 10 pound rifle before I have to call it quits, how about you TX?

The People's Moderator!

30-06 vs .308

well i hate to say it guys but the standard .308 has 2000 pounds more chamber presure in mill spec loads than the standard 30-06 and shoots alot flatter max penetration being at 600 yards. even though i hate to say it it even shoots flatter than my personal favorite the 8x57 although when it comes to knock down power at 1000 yards you cant touch the 30-06 or the 8x57 but i would take anyone of them to combat w/me though.
    I once heard the OIC at the hathcock range in Camp lejuene say he would rather pack a .270 but i'll stick with a 198 grain 8mm round
    Former USMC grunt. I am a long yardage shooter up to 1000 not the best but i'm always training love my mausers!

How exactly does the 308 shoot flatter than a 30-06?

The People's Moderator!

yea, you may want to recheck your figures, the 30-06 shoots the same bullet as the .308, but at a highr velocity in all bullet weights.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

the same weighted/shaped bullet in a .30-06 will shoot flatter than .308 period
    differnt bullet weights you can take the most un-aerodynamic 220 gr hunting load which will anhilate a moose or something big and 155 gr palma loads in a .308 then yea a .308 will shoot flatter

+1 for Eka and Jeff.

308 is basically 30-06 Winchester Short Mag. Can just about match it with lighter bullets, but doesn't come near with the heavy stuff. The reason the chamber pressure is higher, if it is, is because the 308 has less case capacity, and thus higher pressure. I am sure 30-06 can be loaded to the same pressure as Mil 308 safely.

The People's Moderator!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Ads