Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Most accurate powder choice

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  hunt127588 
#1 ·
Of these 3 powders, which have ya'll gotten the best accuracy using 168 grain smk's and 175 grain smk's, RL-15, Varget or IMR-4064? I have only used RL-15 and IMR-4064 and the RL-15 seems to be the one that produces the better accuracy and the least variation in velocity and group size. In the loading tables and burning rate charts, Rl-15 and Varget seem to be almost identical in charge weight/velocity, at least with the 168 grain bullets.

What say you?

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

#2 ·
I think powder choice is more to make best use of the length of one's barrel, and the time the bullet stays in you barrel. Heavy bullets in long barrels will take advantage of slower burning powders. Light bullets in short barrels are best served with faster burning powders.

I have found , from experience with reloading over the years, that Hodgdon powders and IMR powders seem to be more stable in temperature extremes. Reloader powders and Accurate powders seem to be more sensitive to temperature change. No powder is 100% stable in all conditions. All can be accurate, used to the best abilities of you and your rifle.

Jeff

#6 ·
Something I've found with reloader powders and Magnum rifles is that safe loads made in the fall may not be safe in summer. I've reloaded for my .300 RUM with RL25 in 50 degree temps with no pressure signs and well under SAAMI spec, as well as Alliant's specs and got good accuracy. However - in 80 degree temps, bolt sticking, primer popping pressure has occured. Whether this has happened with RL 15, I couldn't say.

Jeff

#7 ·
In one rifle IMR 4064 produces my best groups. I used to shoot a diffrent rifle that like varget better. Never tried RL-15.

#9 ·
I have used RL-15, IMR4064 and Varget. Different .308s want different powders. No two are the same. My LTR prefers Varget to RL-15. However, my custom rig prefers RL-15 and IMR 4064 to Varget. Try them all and see what works best in your gun. They are all in the sweet spot for .308.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.