.260 vs .308

This is a discussion on .260 vs .308 within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; What would be a better round for 1000-1200 yard shooting and what is cheaper to reload for match quality ammo?? -Felipe...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .260 vs .308

.260 vs .308

What would be a better round for 1000-1200 yard shooting
    and what is cheaper to reload for match quality ammo??
    -Felipe
    -Felipe

From what I have read on this sight. The .260 has a flatter trajectory and a higher BC allowing it to out perform the .308. With that being said, their is a lot more data for the .308 available than the .260. The .260 is a phenomenal cartridge though. You should also look into the 6.5x55 Swede.
    Now a proud owner of a Larry McElroy built Savage. Stockade Stock. WoTac 4-14. 20" McGowen Bbl. Harris Bipod. Duracoated and cammied out!!!

Yup, 260 or the 6.5X55
    I shoot all the calibres mentioned at 1,000, and like them all, but the 6.5X55, in the right rifle , has a bit more capacity than the 260.
    Recoil is slightly less with thee 6.5's as well, which makes a difference over the course of a few rounds.
    price does not vary that much......

ironsighter
    good judgement comes from experience - a lot of that comes from bad judgement!

I absolutely love the .260. Also Hornady has put out the 6.5 Creedmoor ammo. A member here competes with this caliber and has had some high praise for the caliber. I have not seen any on the shelves down here but its not hard to get. Its a great round.

The .308 is a great round too though with lots of different bullet types and match ammo readily available.
    JOEY

SC Member #2507
    SASS#84934

Bill Of Rights Supporter

I'm not super familiar with the .260, however I do know that with the .308, to get to 1200 yards you have to push the 175+ grain bullets fairly hard, or the lighter 155 Scenar's really fast to get to those ranges. Pushing bullets hard to get enough velocity to get the range you want isn't usually a good way to get great accuracy. It seems these days that 6mm and 6.5mm bullets are the king of long range comps.

Branden
    Once you go FDAC, you'll never go back!

-Me

If its straight for 1000-1200 yard shooting and you hand load the 260 wins hands down.
    Take a 260 with good bbl and throw a 139 Scenar and you have a weapon 20% better at long rnage than a 308.

Now if bbl life is important than the 260 loses as you get around 4000 rds through a 260 tube normal shooting and around 2500 machine gun style

308 gets 8000-10,000 through good tube normal style and around 5000 run hard.

There is no comparison between the two---the .260 can push high BC projectiles quite fast. The .308 Winchester really isn't a 1,000+ cartridge. Try looking up a free ballistics calculator (such as Point Blank--its so easy an idiot like me can use it ) and compare the ballistics yourself. (Tip of the day---use the range you wish to shoot as your "0" and look at how many MOA high you are at 100 yards for a comparison of drop in MOA at a given range).

Concerning loading match ammunition, 6.5 bullets are typically slightly cheaper.

Powder charges are nearly identical and they use the same primers.

When it comes to brass, the .308 Winchester has the edge. You can purchase 100 Lapua pieces for approximately $70 while the best .260 is Nosler at just over $1 each (and likely isn't near the quality the Lapua .308 brass is). So with .260, you have to use lesser brass or buy .308 Win brass and neck it down--which will require you to purchase additional dies.

Mike above gave some great advice on barrel life. If you do some of your own research on the forum, there are tons of posts existing about the .260 Remington, as well as some reviews by Mele that have some good information. You can easily find load data (and consequently can look up the cost of components by simply checking places like Midway, Bruno Shooters Supply, and Midsouth) and make some observations.
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMiller
    308 gets 8000-10,000 through good tube normal style and around 5000 run hard.
    Wow, thank for posting that Mike. I wasn't aware that the .308 had such a long barrel life! I have 327 rounds through my new tube, that gives me hope that it'll last another 15 years or so at my current shooting rate! If I could afford it, I would wear it out in a couple years.

Branden
    Once you go FDAC, you'll never go back!

-Me

I am on a personal mission to see that the word gets spread on the .260 in the hopes that it will become popular enough that Remington will have to eat crow for dropping it.

IMHO, it is also a great round that has not gotten the attention and use that it should!

Happy reading:
    FORUMS
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=286305

http://snipersparadise.com/snipercha...0&st=0&start=0

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/...=21738&start=0

ARTICLES
    http://demigodllc.com/articles/the-c...-260-remington

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-s...-6.5-creedmoor

If you have any more specific questions, you can't find the answer to in that info, fire away.

Best of Luck,
    Capt Richardson
    Old Timmer - Panama/Just Cause, Persian Gulf/Desert Storm, Somalia/Restore Hope

"It takes a remarkable person not just to say a Creed and memorize a Creed, but to live by a Creed." S. Shughart

Fully agreed with what Mr. Mike posted.

I have been shooting a .260 in my comp. rifle for a few years now.
    The .260 cuts through the wind so much easier that the 308.

Now the Sierra 142's cost more than the Sierra 175's which is pure B.S. but since it's based off of volume rather than actual weight produced.

For brass I use R.P. and it works good enough that I have not and will not size up or down or try some other brand.

FWIW,
    Stu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads