AMAX vs. HPBT

This is a discussion on AMAX vs. HPBT within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'd like to hear the opinions of those of us that have been long time users of the HPBT in .308. Anywhere from 155 gr. ...

Thread: AMAX vs. HPBT

AMAX vs. HPBT

I'd like to hear the opinions of those of us that have been long time users of the HPBT in .308. Anywhere from 155 gr. and above. I've heard that the AMAX has an "as good or better" coeffcient, rating than the HPBT on long range shots, but have never tried them myself. From what I can gather... They are more available than most of the normal .308 (Match weight) bullets available at this time and cost less. Any merit to these claims of accuracy??

Administrator
    The AMAX line is very accurate. Lots of highpower shooters use them on the long lines to feed singly. On nose design, they are about halfway between a VLD and a Match HPBT. Fed through an autoloader, some have had problems with dinging the polycarb tip, which kills accuracy, but through a bolt gun I've not heard this.

Give 'em a shot.
    -Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

In general, it's thought by many that Sierra's BC are a bit low and Hornady's a bit high. That's no knocking either company or bullets.

It's better to have a bullet than none. So if you can get the A-Max's and not the SMKs, grab before they too are gone. 90% of all shooters will never be able to tell the difference. In other words either bullet will out shoot most of us shooters.
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." -- Paris Hilton

I can get BTHP from hornady, nosler, and sierra to shoot 1/4 moa or better. I have only been able to get various A-max's to consistently group under 1/2 moa. I haven't done as much load development with the Amax's, so the potential may be there, I just haven't found it yet.

I get a 2.5 moa flatter run to 600 yards with the 168 Amax vs the 168 SMK.

I seem to get the same accuracy from either the SMK or Amax at 100, might be just me but the Amax does me better out at range.

Bobby was a dyed in the wool SMK guy, but after shooting some Amaxs and seein the price difference the rest has been history here.

Used the Amax through an M1a, not problems, no 'flyers' that would indicate a lost nylon nose.

Have lost a few noses after carryin loose rounds in my pants pocket all day.

I've used Laahhhpooaahh, Nosler, n Sierra HPBT match type bullets before the Amax.

If not the Amax then the Lappys, see no reason to pay that kinda money though, and no real reason to go back to SMKs that some figure need meplat trimmin to get up to its max potential.

Oh wait, more demand might drive the price up...

Amaxs???? they suck!!!! :wink:

I have shot HPBTs (Sierra, Nosler), VLDs (Berger, JLK), Scenars (Lapua), and AMAXs (Hornady), and they are all good bullets!

That being said, the HPBTs seem to be the "easiest" to get good performance out of. Based on my experiences, they will typically group the best when it comes to "Factory Loadings".

The others typically require you to "tune" the OAL until you find the "sweet spot". Based on my experiences, the VLDs take the most tuning, the AMAXs and Scenars are more forgiving, but can still be "finicky" depending on the barrel.

For example, shooting my .300 Win Mag,
    A "Factory/Out of the Box" 190 HPBT would produce a consistent 1 MOA group.

Working up a handload using a 190 VLD and adjusting the OAL I was able to produce a sub MOA group that was about 0.25-0.30 MAO better than the HPBT.

IMHO,
    For "Out of the Box/Factory" type loads, the HPBT will be hard to beat, followed by the AMAX and Scenar.

For "Custom Built" type loads, the VLD will be hard to beat, followed by the AMAX and Scenar.

Ultimately IMHO it comes down to:
    - Some barrels may like one type of bullet better than others, you really have to try them to see what you get get.
    - Some bullets really must be "tuned" to get optimal performance, if you do not adjust the velocity and OAL to get to the sweet spot, they simply will not perform well.

Just my 2 cents, which hopefully makes sense!
    M Richardson

PS: if you are looking specifically for a "Long Range" .308 bullet, IMHO you can't touch the 155 gr Lapua Scenar. The BC is better or equal to anything else going, and the lighter 155 gr bullet will allow you to launch it quicker than the heavier 168 and 175 grain bullets. The Scenar bullet will also do well in most barrels.
    Old Timmer - Panama/Just Cause, Persian Gulf/Desert Storm, Somalia/Restore Hope

"It takes a remarkable person not just to say a Creed and memorize a Creed, but to live by a Creed." S. Shughart

- Some barrels may like one type of bullet better than others, you really have to try them to see what you get get.
    - Some bullets really must be "tuned" to get optimal performance, if you do not adjust the velocity and OAL to get to the sweet spot, they simply will not perform well.
    That's a big +1 or we all wouldn't have partial boxes of some bullets sitting around gathering dust. :lol:
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." -- Paris Hilton

Ads