Lapua .308 case capacity

This is a discussion on Lapua .308 case capacity within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; The end is in sight for my supply of Federal brass so I've decided to switch to Lapua. With regard to its lower case capacity ...

Lapua .308 case capacity

The end is in sight for my supply of Federal brass so I've decided to switch to Lapua. With regard to its lower case capacity am I going to have to start over from scratch with load development or is there a percentage I can subtract from my current load and fine tune from there? Would reducing the charge by the same percentage that the case H20 capacity is reduced be a reasonable place to start?
    It's good to be the King.

While I dont mess with laahhpooaahh myself I know a fella who did :wink:

He dropped 1.5 grains off his BlackHills Match brass and wound up addin 1 grain back. Federal brass I messed with is a bit heavier than Black Hill/Winchester so a tad less case capacity, might be closer to Laahhpooaahh.

Now I use a mild load for the 308- 44 grains Varget with the 168 Amax. Use that load in Fed/Win/BH/Remington/Hornady brass just fine. If you are not pushin the fed brass load for the last lil fps ya can do stuff like that.

Good luck...

If your Federal Load is not at max from any of the manuals why not try this.

Load five with exactly what you use in Federal, load 5 with 0.4 gr less, another 5 with 0.8 grain less, and just for good measure load one with 1.2 grains less. The 0.4 grain increments are about a 1% difference in most .308 powder loads, give or take.

You will have 20 cartridges. Set up 4 targets, foul your barrel with a couple of other rounds, then shoot these, one from each group (not al at once) leaving a minute between each round for the barrel to cool, then a little longer between rounds.

In other words, shoot one from group 1, wait a minute, shoot 1 from group 2, wait a minute, then one from groups 3 & 4 waiting a minute between each, then wait several minutes for the barrel to cool, and do another round.

When you are done, I bet the right load is bracketed by what you are using and 1.2 grains less, and the best group will identify itself to you pretty quickly. Similar to other procedures I've read on other sites. You should get a pretty good hack on this with just 20 rounds.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JCinPA

Load five with exactly what you use in Federal, load 5 with 0.4 gr less, another 5 with 0.8 grain less, and just for good measure load one with 1.2 grains less. The 0.4 grain increments are about a 1% difference in most .308 powder loads, give or take.

You will have 20 cartridges. Set up 4 targets, foul your barrel with a couple of other rounds, then shoot these, one from each group (not al at once) leaving a minute between each round for the barrel to cool, then a little longer between rounds.

In other words, shoot one from group 1, wait a minute, shoot 1 from group 2, wait a minute, then one from groups 3 & 4 waiting a minute between each, then wait several minutes for the barrel to cool, and do another round.

When you are done, I bet the right load is bracketed by what you are using and 1.2 grains less, and the best group will identify itself to you pretty quickly. Similar to other procedures I've read on other sites. You should get a pretty good hack on this with just 20 rounds.

Good luck!
    Thanks JC. That sounds similar to the way I initially developed the load (43.2 of 4064 under a 168 SMK.) Not hot by any stretch, so I'll give 'er a go and report back.
    It's good to be the King.

Kevin Beggs reports: "Fired, my IMI Match brass runs with an ICC of 55.0gr and bumping the shoulder back .001" will net me an ICC average of 54.0gr. LAPUA runs an average of 54.4gr and Federal runs an average of 54.3gr ICC."
    http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by JCinPA

Good luck!

Thats a helluva good Idea I'll be trying soon. Thx....

Ads