300 Win mag vs 300 ultra mag -accuracy

This is a discussion on 300 Win mag vs 300 ultra mag -accuracy within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I was all ready to buy a new rifle in 300 win mag, but after reading up on the issue of the inherent accuracy flaws ...

300 Win mag vs 300 ultra mag -accuracy

I was all ready to buy a new rifle in 300 win mag, but after reading up on the issue of the inherent accuracy flaws from a belted magnum, I'm wondering if the 300 RUM might have better (or easier) potential to be more accurate out of the box since it headspaces on the shoulder instead of the belt.

anyone have an opinion on this?

The gun shop has the 300 win mag.... just sitting there looking pretty. I'd have to start the search over for an ultra.

300 RUM pro's: high velocity with heavy/long .308 bullets
    cons: faster throat/barrel wear, heavier recoil, expensive brass, higher powder cost/load, less load data availability, harder to find ammo in a pinch

300 Win Mag: proven, longer barrel life, cheap brass if you desire, really nice expensive brass if you desire, factory match loads available, less recoil, more available load data, used in distance matches for years, factory ammo commonly available
    cons: short neck, THE BELT

Having said that, the 300WM is capable of very impressive accuracy at long ranges, despite being at a disadvantage on paper. If you were comparing it to a 6.5 or 7mm that MIGHT be a different story, but the 300 RUM is limited by all the standard .308 cal stuff AND it's more challenging to shoot well, everything else being equal. Depending on your application the 300 RUM may give you just enough umph to make it worth the extra cost and abuse. However, the logical jump after 300WM is usually 338 Lapua, Edge, Norma, etc.

just my way of thinking, but I'm not biased (FWIW, when I was in your position I REALLY wanted to like the 300 RUM, the rest is history)

Rob01 will now fill in everything I left out. :wink:

John
    "Those who do not study history are destined to repeat it."

"Pray for me cause I have lost my faith in holy wars... Will I learn what's truly sacred?
    Will I redeem my soul? Will truth set me free?" - Sharon den Adel

Thanks for the info...

in all honesty, I wasn't sure how critical it really was... you know how opinions are, and I came across someone with a very bias opinion against belted magnums...told me it would be the worst way to go, horrible accuracy, etc...etc..

actually, out of my rifles, I have one belted magnum (7mm mag), and it is the most accurate rifle out of the bunch, even comparing to a very similar rifle in 270.

Nothing much to add Jrob LOL

Get the 300WM and don't worry about the belt. The 300WM has held accuracy records and people have been using it for years in competitions. Is that because it's inaccurate? I doubt it. Don't listen to people that worry about the belt because they read it in some gun rag or on the internet. You have the proof that that is BS in your safe now. I have a 300WM being built right now and it's not because I wanted an inaccurate long range rifle.

There is a lot of BS out there and the Internet assures that all of us are exposed to more than our share of it.

One of the interesting tidbits, on this belt issue, I heard from a guy who used to compete in long range matches many years ago, that they tried machining the belt off the bottom of the case and making custom reamers/chambers to support the web.

Rob01, have you heard of this being done? I've never seen nor heard of it anywhere since. Makes neck turning sound like a vacation. The person in question said that he didn't think it made any difference in accuracy, just gave a psychological edge.

John
    "Those who do not study history are destined to repeat it."

"Pray for me cause I have lost my faith in holy wars... Will I learn what's truly sacred?
    Will I redeem my soul? Will truth set me free?" - Sharon den Adel

Never heard of that and wouldn't try it. No real problems with the belt as far as shooting but a possible issue is with larger chambers and dies that don't size down to the belt. There can be an area above the belt that doesn't get sized and can expand but it's take care of easily with the Belted Magnum
    Collet Resizing Die which can be used every 3 or 4 reloadings to make sure there is no expansion. You can see it here http://www.larrywillis.com/ I have one and it works well.

I own both the 300 wm and the 300 rum. I love both of them. It is really a hard choice to decide which one I am gonna use. I had a 7mm which is a belted magnum for 10 years and it is the gun that my grand father used in the 70's. It has had several thousand rounds through it and has killed everything from coyotes to elk, deer and bear. I even shot so many bullets through it one time I still have a scar where the barrel burned me. Last time I took it out to the range it still shot a 1 inch group and 100 yards. The barrel is still in very good condition without any wear but the stock is another story. The 300 WM that I have I just shot a three shot group at 300 yards where every shot touched. My remington .300 RUM is the just as accurate, also something to note is that the RUM is not a belted magnum. In all my years as a hunter and shooter there has been nothing wrong with my belted magnums. As a matter of fact I prefer the trajectory that only the belted magnums can offer. Still to this day the hardest kicking gun I ever had was a winchester lever action .308.
    1*

There comes a time when pushing caliber[x] faster is not better than pushing caliber[x+1] slower.

Here caliber[x] is 300RUM and caliber[x+1] is 338 LM.

Wouldnt a WSM be more comparable to a WM in terms of performance, but has better barrel/throat life and is more efficient???
    -Jimmy

Ads