Sierra Matchking 155 grain BTHP PALMA

This is a discussion on Sierra Matchking 155 grain BTHP PALMA within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Is anyone loading the new Sierra Matchking 155 grain PALMA bullet? What kind of success are you having and what kind of velocities are you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sierra Matchking 155 grain BTHP PALMA

Is anyone loading the new Sierra Matchking 155 grain PALMA bullet? What kind of success are you having and what kind of velocities are you developing? Any information on load data would be greatly appreciated.

By the way they seem to shoot fairly good out of my VTR even though I have only fired about 20 rounds through the rifle so far.

The first 5 shots group after sighting the rifle in.
    Marine Corp Parent - Toughest Job in the Corps
    Son of a POW
    NRA Member/SASS Member
    /GSSF Member/Glock Armorer

Nice group man!
    -Felipe
    -Felipe

Thanks! I am pretty happy with my VTR the first time out without working up loads and breaking in my rifle.
    Son of a POW
    NRA Member/SASS Member

I think this proves that triangular barrels can group well! I would like to see if there's any stringing after 4 or 5 groups as there was with the fellow that has a tactical 5r triangular barreled remy on here. keep us posted!
    -Felipe
    -Felipe

I was going to get some on my last Midway order to try out, they were on backorder, however, and I can't stand to pay shipping twice.

I hope to try some in the near future.

I tried some of the various .30 cal 155 grain bullets, Sierra and Lapua.

Theory was shooting a lighter bullet would let you get more velocity, which would help with long range ballistics. Since the 155s had a BC which was close to the heavier bullets, they should do better since they would be traveling faster.

That might hold true when you first look at it on paper, but not once you really get into it.

Based on the BC numbers from Sierra's site.
    155 PALMA
    .504 @ 2,700
    .470 @ 2,700-1,800
    .430 @ 1,800 -

175 SMK
    .505 @ 2,800 +
    .496 @ 2,800-1,800
    .485 @ 1,800 -

If you really look at those numbers, while both bullets start off with almost the same BC, the heavier 175 initially only looses about .010 in BC value as it slows, versus the lighter 155 which looses about .025 as it slows. Then once you get below 1,800 fps the 175 has only lost about .020 in BC value, where the 155 has lost about .075 in BC value. Given distance and the resulting loss in velocity, that is about triple the loss in BC value for the 155 versus the loss for the 175. If you only looked at the initial BC values, the bullets look like they should perform the same, however once you "dig deeper" you can see where the 175 would be better at longer ranges as the velocity drops.

Based on the numbers above, and my experiences in the field where I could not see an improvement shooting the 155s, I am back to shooting the 175 SMK.

Obviously if you have a rifle with a twist rate which will not stabilize the heavier 175 grain bullets, then the 155 grain bullets may be your best option.

Best of Luck,
    Capt Richardson

PS: nice group, shoot whatever works for you!
    Old Timmer - Panama/Just Cause, Persian Gulf/Desert Storm, Somalia/Restore Hope

"It takes a remarkable person not just to say a Creed and memorize a Creed, but to live by a Creed." S. Shughart

I just wonder what would happen if you jumped the velocity up to around 2900 to 3000 fps which would put the 155 in line with the 175 grain bullet. It should take comparable charges and pressures with the 20 grain difference in bullet weight unless the chamber dimensions are different.

With most reloading manuals the heavier bullet is only safely pushed to about 200 fps less than the 155 grain bullet. Maybe Sierra's doing a little creative math to even out the sales on their bullets.

They are probably shooting the 175 grain out of a 300 win mag.
    Son of a POW
    NRA Member/SASS Member

Yeah, I was going to ask if the slight loss in BC would be offset by the higher velocities. You're looking at another 150-250 fps from the 155 vs a 175.

Regarding the comment about needing a faster twist for the heavier SMK, I'm under the understanding that it's the length of the pill that dictates twist rate, and the Palma/Scenar 155's are longer than a 175 SMK. Is this right?

Hello
    the 155 are shorter than the 175, I did here that the 155 have change in the last while but haven't seen any to know for sure, still shooting off passed sierra shoot winnings. I fire my 155 at 2950 out of a 26" barrel with no sighs of pressure. I find there is less recoil and fly just as well as 175smk

cliffy

I wonder if you're referring to the 155 SMK, Cliffy, rather than the Palma.

http://www.6mmbr.com/308win.html

The 155 Scenar looks longer according to the pic about 1/4 of the way down the page I linked above.

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/sierrapalma1.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads