Quality of Prvi Partizan brass??

This is a discussion on Quality of Prvi Partizan brass?? within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; ANyone know about the quality of Prvi Partizan brass? I see Midway will be getting this in at a good price. I'm wondering about reloading ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quality of Prvi Partizan brass??

ANyone know about the quality of Prvi Partizan brass? I see Midway will be getting this in at a good price. I'm wondering about reloading (talking .338 Lapua) of this vs. Lapua brass.
    Yes, I am a pirate, 200 years too late;
    the cannons don't thunder,
    there's nothing to plunder.
    I'm an over 40 victim of fate.

Check my post (ocw) PPU - Prvi partizan Užice. I think its too hard or atleast very uneven but that is for .308 (and also their ammo sucks) so .338 might be ok but i highly doubt it. I'd buy Lapua/Ruag (Ruag now owns pretty much everything Norma, Hinterberger, RWS etc...) and be done with it. And for a start in reloading keeping with proven will limit your guessing as to what is to blame for possible errors.

Well, i've bought only one box of their "Match" ammo (20 pcs). I've shot 3 5 shot groups and one 4 shot, because one cartridge didn't go to chamber. I just coulnd't close bolt.
    Groups were around 1.5 MOA at 110 yars, but my rifle (Tikka T3 Varmint) is capable 0.5 MOA or less.
    Ammo is very cheap, also brass. When i saw poor accuracy of their "Match" ammo i didn't even reload, because i saw right away that it's not worth my time.

Their brass from 25 years ago was very good but as of late? Not good. It has gotten too thin since the cost of base materials skyrocketed.
    MFWIC

Stercus Accidit

Nice try = you suck spelled differently.

Proud member of WTFDTSG Club.

RIP Spike 1996 - 2009

Their brass from 25 years ago was very good but as of late? Not good. It has gotten too thin since the cost of base materials skyrocketed.
    You've pretty much summed up status of arms industry in ex Yugoslavia with that sentence.

Thanks for the information: you've saved me some money and some wasted work and expensive bullets. The .338 factory ammo, whether Lapua, Corbon (using Lapua brass) or other "good" stuff is expensive. Some even borders on the ridiculous in price (Black Hills, Remington). Of course, it all drops off once reloading. Since I am known far and wide as "El Cheapo" I'm always on the lookout for a better price on the basic ammo itself. Midway has Prvi "coming soon" @ $45. or so a box, when Hornady is $75. and the rest around $100. or more. But, it's not a bargain if the brass is a problem when reloading.

The old adage "You get what you pay for" still stands.

I was told that HSM uses Lapua brass, so that's a good middle ground price. I just got some I ordered direct from Hunting Shack as the store here showed 0 in available quantity of .338 Lapua. If that works out, maybe I'll get some more here since they list the HPBT.
    Yes, I am a pirate, 200 years too late;
    the cannons don't thunder,
    there's nothing to plunder.
    I'm an over 40 victim of fate.

FWIW The "best" .338LM brass is Lapua.

BH uses Lapua brass.

I bought 20rds of Hornady 250gr to try - accuracy and chrono. The accuracy was good and it chrono'd at 2869fps in July '08. My barrel length is 26". The spec'd velocity was 2900fps and no info on barrel length etc.
    MFWIC

Stercus Accidit

Nice try = you suck spelled differently.

Proud member of WTFDTSG Club.

RIP Spike 1996 - 2009

Do these guys still manufacture ammunition? I thought their factory exploded?

It was "minor" accident in ammo delaboration part they manufacture for US mostly (atleast that is the reason they give why they don't CIP test some of their ammo and why it is rarely sold in EU market - cant import without CIP test on each lot) - dont know for which branch (if any) though.

Quote Originally Posted by rjroberts
    Thanks for the information: you've saved me some money and some wasted work and expensive bullets. The .338 factory ammo, whether Lapua, Corbon (using Lapua brass) or other "good" stuff is expensive. Some even borders on the ridiculous in price (Black Hills, Remington). Of course, it all drops off once reloading. Since I am known far and wide as "El Cheapo" I'm always on the lookout for a better price on the basic ammo itself. Midway has Prvi "coming soon" @ $45. or so a box, when Hornady is $75. and the rest around $100. or more. But, it's not a bargain if the brass is a problem when reloading.

The old adage "You get what you pay for" still stands.

I was told that HSM uses Lapua brass, so that's a good middle ground price. I just got some I ordered direct from Hunting Shack as the store here showed 0 in available quantity of .338 Lapua. If that works out, maybe I'll get some more here since they list the HPBT.
    Buy hornady brass 32$ for 20pcs and its good brass, ad some 300gr SmK's and your good to go.
    -Felipe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads