Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

35 grain 22-250

6K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  AU 
#1 ·
I was thinking about dropping from a 55 gr v-max to a federal 35 gr. I want to use my howa axiom in 22-250 for woodchuck in the spring. I thought this set up would be better and cheaper than going to a 204 ruger, seing as how I already have the 22-250. The rate of twist is 1 in 14 with a 24 inch bull barrel. Is there any down side to going to such a fast bullet, will it wear out my barrel any faster.

Mark2

#2 ·
Nope. Powder charge remaining the same, you should see reduced barrel wear from the 35 compared to the 55. This is a result of the decrease in bearing surface.

That said, you may find your current 55 grain powder won't perform as well with the lighter bullets. Pends on your powder..

-Nate

#4 ·
The only down side with the 22-250 is really fast bullets, light jackets and fast twist sometimes the bullet will come apart in the air.

#6 ·
You should be fine. The only way to know is to load them and shoot them. It is most common whith a fast twist like 1:9 and 55 gr or lighter bullets. My Tikka does it with the 40 gr bullets at 4000 fps. A lot depends on how thin the jacket on the bullet is. If it comes apart back off your load a bit.

#8 ·
In that case shoot them and see. If it doesnt work out then try diffrent ammo. If the 35 grain does not work the 55 gr will be a goof round as well.

#10 ·
Your .22-250 is a superb ground hog and prairie dog cartridge. And, that cartridge was designed around the 55 grain bullet for good reason. I reload the 55 grain Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip and either 35.5 grains of IMR-4064 or 36 grains of Varget. The bullet is seated .025" from touching the lands in my 700 VSF w/26" barrel. I have found no reason to shoot anything else as these loads produce sub 1/2" groups and sometimes smaller.

I think you can still get Winchester Supreme .22-250 ammo with this same bullet loaded to 3650 ft/sec.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.