New Hornady 178 BTHP load

This is a discussion on New Hornady 178 BTHP load within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; +1 quick! Rob, or anybody actually, if you see where to get this stuff, please post back here with links to it. id love to ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    +1 quick! Rob, or anybody actually, if you see where to get this stuff, please post back here with links to it. id love to try a box.

Paulus
    Just a random dude who likes to shoot on occasion.

didnt hornady already put out a 178 gr HPBT match cartridge? If so.. make sure you see the "super performance" in front of it.. found a few places selling the 178 gr HPBT match but its around $20 a box.. dont think its this new ammo.
    USMC 91-99
    0311/8541
    "The deadliest weapon in the world is a marine and his rifle"
    Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing. US Army

Quote Originally Posted by Rob01
    They are in SAAMI specs. They are using the superformance powders which keep pressures normal but velocity up. It's all in the powder.
    Cool! :P

Hornady never loaded a 178 AMAX and the BTHP is a new bullet. They did load 168 AMAX and BTHP. There are other comanies that load the 178 AMAX in their ammo though but not Hornady.

My team mate has some and should be doing some shooting with it this weekend. Will let you know what I hear.

That would be much appreciated Rob. I look forward to what your team mate has to say about it.
    Shaun aka "Quick"
    Two Rocks, Western Australia

Remington 700 "Custom Marksman" .308 Win
    Sportco M44 7.62x51mm NATO
    Anschutz 1416D HB .22LR
    CZ 452 Deluxe .22LR
    1944 VKT M39 7.62x54R
    1920 Lithgow SMLE No 1 MK III* .303 British
    S&W M&P 9mm

Interesting to see what the drop chart on this looks like.

Cheers
    "What we do for ourselves, dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine

If anyone sees a site with this for sale post it up! I'll be looking through some sites as well.
    "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" (Barry Goldwater)

I am very glad to hear this will be out,

BUT, I am not a big fan of shooting factory ammo which costs well over $1 per round!

Obviously I would like to be able to get the key components, which in this case I would assume are the bullet and powder, and handload them.

Any chance of that happening?

Hats off to Hornady for coming up with what sounds like an outstanding factory round, which may be destined to unseat the FGMM King of the Hill!

Many thanks also to Rob & Team Blaster, I am sure they had at least a little to do with it!

Best of Luck,
    M Richardson
    Old Timmer - Panama/Just Cause, Persian Gulf/Desert Storm, Somalia/Restore Hope

"It takes a remarkable person not just to say a Creed and memorize a Creed, but to live by a Creed." S. Shughart

No chance of getting the powder at this time. It's a special blended powder designed for the Superformance ammo. The bullet will be out in the future and you can use it with any powder that you use for the 178AMAX or 175 SMK like Varget. Just don't expect the Superformance velocities. That said you should be able to get them close if not over 2700fps with Varget and with the bullet's BC it would still be an excellent performer.

The Team can't take any credit for the new round although we have been telling them for years they need to come up with a 178 weight load for long range .308 shooters. We just wanted the 178 AMAX but it seems like they developed a new bullet with a better BC which is cool with us

This 'aggressive' ogive design, does it mean that there will be a mismatch between it and existing .308 chambers? I'm specifically asking in regards to a Tango-51. If one wanted to get the most out of this new round would one need to have a specially tailored chamber to it?

Cheers
    "What we do for ourselves, dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Ads