IMR 8208 XBR Review

This is a discussion on IMR 8208 XBR Review within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Load Data used IMR 8208 XBR After doing some looking i would say this is a come back of the old 820BR powder IMR quite ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

IMR 8208 XBR Review

Load Data used

IMR 8208 XBR

After doing some looking i would say this is a come back of the old 820BR powder IMR quite making quite awhile ago.

Rifles loaded for 308 and 300 win mag

308 Loads
    155 GR. SIE HPBT IMR IMR 8208 XBR .308" 2.775" 41.0 2619 47,300 PSI 45.3 2854 60,900 PSI
    168 GR. SIE HPBT IMR IMR 8208 XBR .308" 2.800" 39.0 2493 49,000 PSI 43.3 2707 61,500 PSI
    175 GR. SIE HPBT IMR IMR 8208 XBR .308" 2.800" 39.0 2511 52,200 PSI 42.5 2664 61,800 PSI

300 Win mag
    155 GR. SIE HPBT IMR IMR 8208 XBR .308" 3.340" 58.0 2997 55,000 PSI 61.5 3117 60,700 PSI

That was the only load listed for this powder.

308 Results.
    155gr 44.9gr showed best groups of .368 4 shots. and i was seated at 2.800 alittle longer then recommended
    Closer i got to max i noticed my groups started opening up but nothing over .900
    I made .2 jumps from start to finish tell i found the 44.9 worked the best
    168gr 42.4 showed a very very nice group. .207 i did the same worked .2 tell i found that. as i got over 42.4 the groups started opening up quite quickly again 2.800 seat depth
    175gr
    Caution 39.0-42.5 i couldn't find a happy medium on this load. Not sure if it doesn't like pushing the heavy bullets or what. i couldn't get better then 1in groups with any load i tried. I did run quite abit over max and found that 43.2 had a nice .339 group, no pressure but still alot over max. work from the bottom to see what your rifle likes

300 win mag reading more into the powder its not liking heavy bullets or large cases.
    155gr was the only load listed
    155gr 61.4 showed the best group out of all again working .2 up from min to max it produced a .391 group. i was running 3.360 on seating depth.

All in all the powder is clean to shoot. i didn't see any huge change in vel. change with temp from truck to outside temp up to 45deg.

Sorry i don't have vel. readings on loads. The note book with notes are headed to Texas right now. i'm gonna have him scan them and email me when he gets there.

I hope that helps guys

Tom

Wow, what a great write up and great testing techniques. This is precisely the type of info I was needing. You are to be commended for your efforts.

Thanks to you for doing this. It will benefit all who read it.

Sincerely,
    Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

AU
    There is a lot of extensive testing on the benchrest forums.
    Seems like you don't gain much unless you are in that crowd (other than being a new fashion).

Quote Originally Posted by AU
    There is a lot of extensive testing on the benchrest forums.
    Seems like you don't gain much unless you are in that crowd (other than being a new fashion).

I very strongly have to dis agree.

The benefit of this powder to alot is the fact that is stable in alot of temps. Its a very clean powder. Its a very user friendly powder.

So to each there own and if no one thinks trying a new powder now an then to improve is worth the effort i guess thats just that.

I'm gonna be doing some testing in a 6.5-284 that is used for long range hunting an BR class shooting. results will be up in afew days.

Tom

AU
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBoy_30-378
    I very strongly have to dis agree.

The benefit of this powder to alot is the fact that is stable in alot of temps. Its a very clean powder. Its a very user friendly powder.

All of which is available in many other powders and has been for years
    I know I ONLY use Temp stable powders. 40+c temp swing over a year for me. You guys have the AR powders relabled anyway.
    Is it cheaper than these?

So to each there own and if no one thinks trying a new powder now an then to improve is worth the effort i guess thats just that.

What I said was quite accurate If you can shoot groups at a benchrest level and use the same loading methods then I'm sure you might gain something Do you?

I'm gonna be doing some testing in a 6.5-284 that is used for long range hunting an BR class shooting. results will be up in afew days.

What SD's are you getting now? What are you hoping to gain? Less vertical? What powders do you use now?

Tom
    Edit****
    I'm not a "fashion" guy. I am a results guy who looks at things in a logical manner. I don't jump onto something because it's new. If you are at the level where you are loading to BR standards and skills then I'm sure you might gain something. If not this is just a different powder. Maybe in your guns it's going to be better. Probably not since the gains are small. Is it worth paying more for for most shooters? Nope.

The reason. Reasons

Is there was a couple guys that wanted to know about it. This powder was brought back to replace IMR taking away the IMR208BR powder they quite making back early 90's.

This review was not to get people to quite using what they are using or will use. Again a few guys looking for info. Personally i shot the old powder.

Yes there are powders out there that are just as non temp sens. is there a reason to change mid stream no.

So to those that wanted to see the powder work and what it was doing you have the results. To those that think it was a waste of time sorry for wasting couple minutes of your so valuable time.

Tom

Well Tom, I am the one who asked for a test of this powder in the .308. And I am glad you did the test. It gives us some numbers to help evaluate this powder in relation to the powders we are using now. I don't know about the others, but I am always looking for a little more accuracy, ie, smaller groups, smaller standard deviation etc. And, if benchrest shooters will benefit from using this powder in competition at 100 yards, will it not benefit us at 600 yards? or 800 yards? or 1000 yards? as long as the velocity is there to keep our bullets from going subsonic over those ranges and the pressures are within the .308's realm.

I have developed good loads with the 168 smk and the 175 smk using varget, Rl-15 and H-4895, but I am not so set in my ways that I refuse to try something different. Down through the years, if no one had ever tried something different, we would still be using black powder or arrows.

Thanks again for your work. There are those of us who do appreciate your efforts.

Sincerely,
    Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

AU
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBoy_30-378
    The reason. Reasons

Is there was a couple guys that wanted to know about it. This powder was brought back to replace IMR taking away the IMR208BR powder they quite making back early 90's.

I know the history you might notice I have a fair idea about the powder

This review was not to get people to quite using what they are using or will use. Again a few guys looking for info. Personally i shot the old powder.

What SD's were you getting? VS the new powder? how do you load? What accuracy differences did you notice over mutiple groups VS the current loads you use? It's ALL about SD's since the accuracy should be able to be found with a few powders. correct?

Yes there are powders out there that are just as non temp sens. is there a reason to change mid stream no.

So to those that wanted to see the powder work and what it was doing you have the results. To those that think it was a waste of time sorry for wasting couple minutes of your so valuable time.

Eh? why get pissy about what was said? If I'm wrong please show me
    I just don't understand why if someone offers additional information and input, instead of tallking about it and discussing it you would get annoyed.
    Yes, it's a new BR powder and we can find loads for it. Great, what does it offer us? Single digit SD's? Is this what you got over mutiple strings? I don't see any harm in talking about a subject it full. It's not an attack, it's just discussion and information. Why do you think I had been looking at it? To see what I could gain from using it

Tom

Lets just say like i stated in the first post vel. were great and SD's were better. When i get the notes i will post.

My widest spread was 6fps on any of the loads. The loads that shot the best showed a Widest spread now i'm recalling out of memory was 2fps out of 5 rounds.

So if everyone can wait a few days i will have all the info.

Tom

BB,
    I personally appreciate you going to the trouble and posting your results. I rarely post here but I feel this is one of those times other voices need to be heard.
    If the benchrest shooters can get lower SD's, the same or greater velocities and accuracy goes up, that can definately help the long range shooters.
    I shoot F Class. With a half minute x ring, if I can shave a half minute off my groups with a new, temp stable powder, with less SD and consistent velocity, that happens to be new on the market, why not give it a try? Why would someone put you put down for sharing your time and results?

I may be shooting in FL in the heat one weekend and somewhere in the 40's the next. Being temp stable is a very good thing especially when shooting close to max
    If I can shave .25 to .5 moa off my average group size it might mean the difference in a X or 10 or maybe a 9 to a 10.

Why would someone be so obstinate about trying something new? I don't get the mentality of some people trying to put others down for sharing their experience and trying to bring light to something new.

BB, Good job on the post and thank you for your time and consideration. Keep up the good work.

Longshooter70

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ads