need info on Lake City Ball M80 .308

This is a discussion on need info on Lake City Ball M80 .308 within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Does anyone know any specifics about Lake City M80 Ball .308, like the weight of the bullet, ballistic coefficient, general ballistics, etc? A whole ballistics ...

need info on Lake City Ball M80 .308

Does anyone know any specifics about Lake City M80 Ball .308, like the weight of the bullet, ballistic coefficient, general ballistics, etc?

A whole ballistics chart or some way to figure out the ballistics of this round would be much appreciated. The box this ammo comes in doesn't have any of this information...

p.s. I know military surplus isn't exactly raved about on this website (unless it's m118), but this stuff will shoot less than 2MOA out of my Savage 11, which is fine with me (I'm a long range newbie)
    It seems our problems solve themselves, when we look beyond us to those truly in hell.

M-80 ball:
    147 Gr. FMJBT Bullet
    2750 F.P.S
    B.C. .420
    NRA Lifer/ 2nd bn. 23 rd Marines (res). 0351 AT/ Assault. "An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile,hoping it will eat him last ". Winston Churchill

Re: need info on Lake City Ball M80 .308

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard09
    A whole ballistics chart or some way to figure out the ballistics of this round would be much appreciated. The box this ammo comes in doesn't have any of this information..

That's why you keep a range book. No two guns perform the same. Changes in daily weather as well as seasonal will also change your own performance.

Learn to use a ballistics program. There's one here that I use and it will give you a basic starting point as to trajectory and come ups. As farmerj stated, every rifle is different. When using the program, be sure to input the proper sight(scope) offset height.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.0.cgi
    NRA Lifer/ 2nd bn. 23 rd Marines (res). 0351 AT/ Assault. "An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile,hoping it will eat him last ". Winston Churchill

i'd suggest buying just a couple boxes first to see how your rifle shoots it. biggest thing is mil spec ammo has HARD primers. some rifle's firing pins wont hit them hard enough and you'll get a misfire here and there.
    USMC 91-99
    0311/8541
    "The deadliest weapon in the world is a marine and his rifle"
    Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing. US Army

thanks FLIGHT762

i have shot LC a few times but that was only at a couple 100-yard fun matches with a bunch of friends... and 1 or two shots at 300 or so yards, and it was at like a 10" target, which required just a simple 1-1.5 mil hold over. But nothing beyond 350. All the shots at 100 yards were 5-10 continuous shots per stage, and my barrel heats up and freaks out after the second or third shot, so I haven't been able to create any really reliable sets of data for the performance of this ammo. All I know is that it is infinitely better than any other cheap ammo I've used and not too much worse than Serbian PPU Match 175gr.

And I'm pretty broke and don't have the patience to let the barrel cool for 20 minutes after each shot (it's coming up on summer here in the desert), not to mention the change in temperature throughout the day is normally about 50 degrees, which would throw the data off even more, so I was just wondering if LC is a common choice among target shooters/ snipers, and if anyone knows how it performs.

thanks for the insight and advice.
    It seems our problems solve themselves, when we look beyond us to those truly in hell.

LCM is all i used shooting matches in the corps. My current rifle doesnt like it much though.. my son's rifle (one of mel's 700's) absolutely loves the LC m118.
    Its good accurate ammo. just hard primers is my only qualm with it.
    USMC 91-99
    0311/8541
    "The deadliest weapon in the world is a marine and his rifle"
    Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing. US Army

Ads