Hornady 308 match brass?

This is a discussion on Hornady 308 match brass? within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Anyone using it, good.. bad... ok but rather use something else. It is about half the price of Lapua, is it half the quality?...

Hornady 308 match brass?

Anyone using it, good.. bad... ok but rather use something else.

It is about half the price of Lapua, is it half the quality?

We have not tried Hornady brass; however, you might want to try Nosler cases. While not as good as Lapua, Nosler cartridge cases are the best US cases that we've seen.

I believe that Nosler cases are available from Sinclair International.
    I'm a genius. And you are not.

Hornady Match .308 cases were the first cases that I tried in my R700 VSF. I have gotten better accuracy out of Federal military, WRA military, Remington and Winchester cases.

Sincerely,
    Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyTheCat
    We have not tried Hornady brass; however, you might want to try Nosler cases. While not as good as Lapua, Nosler cartridge cases are the best US cases that we've seen.

I believe that Nosler cases are available from Sinclair International.
    I don't know about Nosler 308 cases, but I am going to have to respectfully disagree with Fluffy on this one. I bought some Lapua 308 cases and have been nothing but pleased. I know Fluffy agrees with me on the quality of Lapua.

I bought some Nosler 22-250 cases that were twice the price of the Lapua 308, hoping for something similar to the Lapua 308 in quality and I was very dissappointed. I didn't find the Nosler 22-250 cases much better than the Winchester cases I had previously been using that cost 1/4 the price.

Its entirely possibly that Nolser didn't feel a varmint cartridge deserved the same kind of quality as a 308, and produce a better 308 case, but based on my experience with Nolser 22-250 cases, I would buy Lapua. I thought the Nosler where way overpriced for the product I recieved. If you don't mind doing case prep, then buy Winchester as they are a great bang for the buck.
    I know Black Hills uses Winchester cases for their match loads.

Shane
    What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.
    - William Shakespeare

I use Hornady brass in .308, 6.5 Creedmoor and .243 and it's excellent. Have some 300Wm on the way now and will be trying that as well.

I use Hornady mtch .308 and Lapua and results are pretty close to the same in my bolt rifles. Winchester and Rem brass are used in my Garand.

Thanks for the replies,

I have had such good luck with the AMax bullets out of both of my 308's now, I ordered up 100 and I'll see how they go.

I will post a follow up with the results, they should be here Wed.

Does Neck Thickness Matter to You?

CT

I purchase Hornady TAP ammo for my 308 just to recycle the brass. (I have to do something in this GREEN environment.) I thought one day I would try a neck size die and use my fire formed brass in my reloads. I bought a simple die without bushings.

After all the case prep, priming and powder drop I placed my A-Max on the case mouth and it fell in the case. :? Well I found that the neck brass on the TAP is thinner, a little over 0.013", than on LC or Winchester.

The TAP works great when I full length size the brass. I just can't neck size it and have any neck tension.

Happy Reloading!

Ads