.300win mag or .338 Lapua Mag?

This is a discussion on .300win mag or .338 Lapua Mag? within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Ok, I have a friend that is going to buy a Accuracy International. Trying to decide between the .300win mag and .338 Lapua mag. I've ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

.300win mag or .338 Lapua Mag?

Ok, I have a friend that is going to buy a Accuracy International. Trying to decide between the .300win mag and .338 Lapua mag. I've looked at some ballistic profiles and they seem to be almost the same as far as drop out to 2,000yds. I've seen the .300win mag shoot out to a mile which is his goal. I know the .338 Lapua will shoot at a mile. The rifle will have a Nightforce 5.5-22x on it regardless of caliber.
    I need some insight on which would be better for shooting out to a mile. I know the .300win mag will be cheeper to shoot (will be reloading) but I thought if he originally wanted the .338 Lapua, and is forking out the $ for an AI he should go for the .338 Lapua.

What's everyone's thoughts on this debocle where in?
    What would you do?

thanks

Brandon
    Customized .308 Rem700P / NF 5.5-22x50mm MLR
    .308 Savage 10FP / NF 5.5-22x50mm MLR
    .308 Savage BA / NF 5.5-22x56mm MLR
    .338 lapua mag. Dakota Arms T-76 Longbow / NF 5.5-22x56mm MLR

What is his intended purpose? The way I see things is that there is no reason for a 338 Lapua unless you are going to use like it is supposed to be. The 300 win mag is very capable and can be used out to mile or better. However if you are looking really to stretch things out the 338 has a better selection of very high ballistic coefficient bullets available (mostly solids). So yes using more conventional swagged bullet designs the 300 win mag doesn't give up much to the Lapua. However when you start looking into getting the most out of the rounds then the Lapua wins hands down.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

300WM will make holes in paper and marks on steel just fine at 1 mile.
    338LM will make holes in paper and marks on steel closer together at 1 mile more consistently (with the right bullet).

If you need to know that something will die when you hit it at 1 mile: 338LM.

John
    "Those who do not study history are destined to repeat it."

"Pray for me cause I have lost my faith in holy wars... Will I learn what's truly sacred?
    Will I redeem my soul? Will truth set me free?" - Sharon den Adel

I will assume that your friend already has a .308 or similar rifle ..... therefore I would suggest the .338LM.

It's capabilities are greater than the 300win mag and the object he appears to chasing is shooting things at very long distance.

The 338LM just goes further.

If he doesn't have a 308 or similar I think the 300 win mag would be OK and give a useful spread of effective range.

Thanks for your input Longshot, JRob, and Kiwi. All good points. He does have 2 .308's a Savage 10fcp and Savage 10 BA S/K.
    I honestly wanted him to go with the .300win mag because it would seem to be cheeper to shoot. .300win mag has more readily available ammo, I would think. I could be wrong with the last two points but I do believe he wants the .338 Lapua mag.
    Just seems like a lot to punch steel at those ranges. The remaining energy of the .338 Lapua is massive compared to the .300win mag but from what I've seen the drops are about the same.
    What to do.

B

I have both

I have shot both at 2k alot.

The latest build is fully custom for just the 2k shooting i do.

The 300 win mag out to 1200 yards is a great round will teach how to read and adjust wind, the 338lm will buck wind pretty good at anyrange over the 300win.

Realistically the 300 vs 338 at 1k are pretty comparable on ballistics

1200 past is were the 338lm starts to pull away from the 300win.

But if he is dropping that kinda money on an AI i would say 338lm but if he isn't a reloader i would say 300 win mag.

338lm is a big bang an a big price to pay for just shooting at 1mile

Now you have to figure in the price of factory ammo per round on the 300 win to the 338lm pretty big difference.

Hand loading still a good gap between the two but quite abit cheaper for both.

All in all both rounds are quite good its down to what he is willing to pay for the fun of haven eather.

Tom

.338 AI + additional .300WM barrel. Both barrels are interchangable on the same AI system. Correct me if I am wrong...
    Shoot .300WM and keep .338 barrel "just in case." Or visa versa...

Thanks Big Boy! I appreciate your outlook. Especially since you have and use both. He has the money and I'll be reloading for him, but I know the .300win mag has to be cheeper. It's not like he'll be shooting bad guys anyway.

Ambush Hunter
    that's a very good idea! As long as the action and bolts are the same demensions. Anybody know if they are? Another question I should know and don't. All my shooting has been with a .308 and under. Time I started doing some homework :shock:

Thanks a bunch guys!

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by Ambush Hunter
    .338 AI + additional .300WM barrel. Both barrels are interchangable on the same AI system. Correct me if I am wrong...
    Shoot .300WM and keep .338 barrel "just in case." Or visa versa...
    That would be the way to go. Switch barrel and just drop out the bolts and put the barrel.

I think the Desert Tactical are the way to.

Tom

The AI barrel changing is VERY quick and easy ..... IF .... you have the barrel changing kit which is unusually expensive IMO .... Zac Smith does an after-market kit/wrench for less than the factory one.

This is about fun primarily and I fully agreed with Penn & Sword in this post regarding the value of a TacOps rifle and while this relates to TacOps it can also apply to calibers and other top-end items .... the principal is great!

Seroke wrote:
    I hate to ask this and maybe it has been already but if you're not a professional or regular recreational shooter is the rifle worth the money??

I don't shoot a whole lot and am by no means a professional I know the quality is there but for me do you think its worth the cost?

I like this question because I had to answer it for myself and to the Boss at home.

For people like you and me who do not and hope that it will never be the case where our rifles and shootings skills will mean a difference between life and death the precision and effectiveness of a TacOps is not needed - or for that matter, any other rifle.

But then, for people like us that's not the point. As has been said elsewhere, TacOps is a rare find in that it is a genuine chance to own and use an incredible example of human engineering and craftsmanship - a Stradivarious for the layman if you will.

I don't drive a Ferrari, wear a rolex, own any original Renaissance art, have a Woodrow Nash sculpture or drink Rothschild original estate wine. Perhaps one day I will. But I will own a Tango-51 and knowing the skill, dedication, passion of the creator and rarity of the rifle, I will consider myself in that class of ownership. This was my original motive for wanting this rifle. I know what I've written can seem painfully sycophantic but I looked long and hard at other builds before deciding on TacOps. When I read that Mike Miller, an accomplished marksman on the competitive world stage called his Tango-51 'the Holland & Holland' of modern sniper rifles and a good mentor of mine from this site told me I will not find a finer rifle I knew it was a done deal.

One more thing, unlike the Ferrari, the art or wine, you can talk and learn from the master himself when you set out on the journey of getting a TacOps. But do remember this - the man is of Italian heritage, let him work and beseech him not with spurious calls for updates on the build or else the Italian Stallion becomes The Raging Bull... Smile (he also has a sense of humour).

Cheers and good luck.

here's the link http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/vie ... &start=450

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads