Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

.260 maximum range?

11K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jrob 
#1 ·
I was wonder what the maximum range for a 260 would be.Im talking about just for fun shooting steel.I was hopeing with a 139gr scenar or 142gr sierra match king gong at 2750-2850 range and with there high bc would get to maybe 1300yards.What do you guys think.

#3 ·
I'd say it depends on your elevation as much as the bullet.

At my altitude (4500 FT above sea level) both the 123 Gr SMK @ 3000 FPS and the 139 gr Scenar (both litz measured BC) @ 2800 FPS stay supersonic until around 1450 yards.

The 130 gr Berger @ 2900 (again, Litz) stays supersonic until 1500 yards.

JBM also says the 140 gr JLK VLD (Litz) stays supersonic as far as 1650 yards.

Use this:
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

#4 ·
Have you looked at the 130 gr. Norma VLD bullet.

It has G7 BC of .294 (litz) and it almost duplicates the range and winddrift of the Berger 140 VLD. It is if you shoot it at 2900 fps and the 140's at 2800 fps...

The Norma would stay supersonic to almost 1600 yards @2900 at altitute of 4500 feets

#5 ·
I was just running those numbers last night while awaiting the completion of my .260. It would definitely appear that the 130 VLD's stay SS longer and WAY flatter. Inside a mile, they would definitely seem to be the ticket. I ran 130 JLK's @ 2900 and they were SS to over a mile at 3000 ft (26.5 inHg). I know several people who've gotten accurate precise hits at a mile at different altitudes, but performance is going to drop off fast after that.

One thing to keep in mind is that VLD's do not perform very gracefully while going transonic, so although they may stay SS longer, maximum range may be possible with something like the 142 SMK or 140 Amax, as they perform well in the transonic region. I've made accurate hits over 500 yds past transonic with my 300WM using 208 Amax's. So it might be possible to go 2000 or beyond with one of those two bullets given enough elevation in the optic system.

In a month or so I'll let you know. :wink:

John

#6 ·
jrob said:
I was just running those numbers last night while awaiting the completion of my .260. It would definitely appear that the 130 VLD's stay SS longer and WAY flatter. Inside a mile, they would definitely seem to be the ticket. I ran 130 JLK's @ 2900 and they were SS to over a mile at 3000 ft (26.5 inHg). I know several people who've gotten accurate precise hits at a mile at different altitudes, but performance is going to drop off fast after that.

One thing to keep in mind is that VLD's do not perform very gracefully while going transonic, so although they may stay SS longer, maximum range may be possible with something like the 142 SMK or 140 Amax, as they perform well in the transonic region. I've made accurate hits over 500 yds past transonic with my 300WM using 208 Amax's. So it might be possible to go 2000 or beyond with one of those two bullets given enough elevation in the optic system.

In a month or so I'll let you know. :wink:

John
I'll be waiting to here how it turns out. Recieved my new .260 Lapua brass yesterday, even for Lapua I was impressed.
Sully

#7 ·
If I can't get tight ES, I'll be picking some up (Lapua). I got a *really* good deal on some new Winchester 7-08 brass. It's taken a bit of work to make useable (neck clean-up, annealing, all the other usual OCD prep) but was very much worth the experiment.

John

#8 ·
jrob said:
If I can't get tight ES, I'll be picking some up (Lapua). I got a *really* good deal on some new Winchester 7-08 brass. It's taken a bit of work to make useable (neck clean-up, annealing, all the other usual OCD prep) but was very much worth the experiment.

John
Don't know what your having the chamber done as SAAMI spec or tight neck but if you go with the new Lapua brass... when I loaded some dummies up with 139 sceaners it come out to .295 which means I will have to get a new reamer made since my 260 remmy and necked up Lapua 243 measured .292, just thought you would like to know.
I won't hijack the ops thread anymore.
Sully

#9 ·
BAS402 said:
jrob said:

John
Don't know what your having the chamber done as SAAMI spec or tight neck but if you go with the new Lapua brass... when I loaded some dummies up with 139 sceaners it come out to .295 which means I will have to get a new reamer made since my 260 remmy and necked up Lapua 243 measured .292, just thought you would like to know.
I won't hijack the ops thread anymore.
Sully
Not sure... it's Mike Bush's personal .260 reamer. I can ask him. The Win. brass is .290, but thenecks have been cleaned up. Could always neck turn the Lapua if need be...

Back to thread. :wink:

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.