7.62x39 Subsonic

This is a discussion on 7.62x39 Subsonic within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Looking for a little data. Lately I've been looking into having some sort of 30 caliber suppressed rifle built for shooting subsonic rounds. I have ...

7.62x39 Subsonic

Looking for a little data. Lately I've been looking into having some sort of 30 caliber suppressed rifle built for shooting subsonic rounds. I have thought about 300 Whisper and 7.62x39. I like the 7.62x39 a little better because i wouldn't have to form the brass. From what I have seen it looks as if this round loaded with either a 180 or 220 grain RN bullet and some Trail Boss powder would be a nice combination. However there is little data available for this combination.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

AK
    Sorry mate, I have no data for this combination. It may interest you to note though that the Soviet Army and later Russian Army reconnaissance units equipped with AKMB/AKMSB rifles loaded with 7.62x39mm УС (US) ammunition. The уменшена

Kea
    A friend of mine is working on this at the moment using 180g cast lead projectiles no gas check using trailboss powder all he wants it do do is three inches at 50 meters should have his results in a week or two.
    Beach Forrest's & Bell Birds

oops... double tap :roll:
    "so, let me get this straight... you're telling me you want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane?!"

this is a copy/paste from another site, very good site for info on Class 3.

this is a load originally posted by username Sub-Sonic, who converted a Carcano to 7.62x39 and then obtained his Form 1, THEN built a (large, but highly effective) suppressor out of common materials and tools.

here's the load:

R-P small primer brass
    winchester primer
    8 grains of trailboss pushing a 220 grain cast lead bullet @950 fps
    I seat the bullet along way out so its only in the neck not the case

and here's a link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FAp4lq_L_0

enjoy

J.R. Archer

p.s. here's the link to the original post he created, it is a .223 cal can and then he builds a .30 cal. can.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewt ... it=7.62x39
    "so, let me get this straight... you're telling me you want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane?!"

Longshot,
    Your barrel would have to be a 1 in 7 twist. A long, heavy bullet at subsonic velocity will tumble unless the rifle has a real fast twist. Sorry if I burst your bubble.
    Chris
    MAKE MY DAY!!!, Give me an Obermeyer rifle barrel!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Levergun59
    Longshot,
    Your barrel would have to be a 1 in 7 twist. A long, heavy bullet at subsonic velocity will tumble unless the rifle has a real fast twist. Sorry if I burst your bubble.
    Chris
    You didn't bust any bubble. I know I need a fast twist to make this work well. But at the same time I 'm not looking for something for precision long range work, rather something that will keep 1-2 moa at 200 yards or less.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot38
    You didn't bust any bubble. I know I need a fast twist to make this work well. But at the same time I 'm not looking for something for precision long range work, rather something that will keep 1-2 moa at 200 yards or less.
    I've been kicking around the same idea for a few years now waiting until I got enough money together to make it happen. From the different people and boards I have read the best compact sub-sonic round out there is probably the .300 Whisper. I'm leaning this direction because I can put it in an AR platform with a special built upper receiver that will make the lower a dual use platform.

Swede
    USMC '02- '06

"Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands." - Clint Eastwood

Ads