260 Ackley Improved- Need HELP with Load Data

This is a discussion on 260 Ackley Improved- Need HELP with Load Data within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I am looking to do a 260 AI project but I am not having any luck with load data. Trying to determine the gain of ...

260 Ackley Improved- Need HELP with Load Data

I am looking to do a 260 AI project but I am not having any luck with load data. Trying to determine the gain of the AI verses standard 260.

I would like to hear from those that have experience with the 260 AI, what their favorite loads are? Velocities w/barrel lengths? Any info that would be useful.

I have a Shilen barrel w/ a 1-8 twist, 27" long. I am looking at several other bullets 142 SMK's, 139 Scenars, 123 SMK's and 123 Scenars, preference in that order.

Also thinking about going Moly for Barrel life, would like to hear experiences anyone has using Moly.

Thanks,

I thought AI was an improvement of accuracy, not velocity. Was I mistaken?

Doesn't it involve a different shoulder angle? Typically fire-forming AI brass from standard brass? Or am I mistaken again?

I have been considering this topic recently as well. Looks like you can get around the low 2900fps with the 140gr bullet.

Check out this article about a 6.5-08 AI that Terry Cross built. Lots of fairly useful info about the cartridge. He did not use a standard .260 AI chamber but rather a variation with some seemingly minor changes in the throat and such. Overall, I think it probably performs the same as the .260 AI but is set up with a slightly different throat length and body taper he preferred. http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek046.html

Also, check out this brief article about Ron Tilley shooting a .260 AI. It has a link to a video of him describing his load and velocity (2920 with 140gr Bergers) and a brief description of how he fireforms his cases.
    http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/20 ... -improved/

Did you google ".260 AI"? There seems to be lots of info out there readily available with preferred loads and such... I think around 47.0gr-47.5gr of H4831 with the 140gr bullet range seems to be pretty common, its where Im going to start if I ever get around to building one.

I`ve been shooting one for a couple years now. I had it built for a few tactical matches, but als as my long range deer rig. With that in mind I stuck with a 24" Rock barrel with a 1-8" twist.

I can drive 140gr class bullets up into the 2950fps range if I use the faster burning H4350 and I've pushed 120's as fast as 3200fps.

I am limited by a stock Rem SA mag so seating length is an issue for me. I would recommend an external mag to get the most out of the case capacity.

Essentially I used standard .260 load data as a guide and began working up until I saw pressure signs. My rifle seems to like standard .260 rem max loads or a fair chunk higher. Off the top of my head 140gr A-max over 46gr H4350 in re-sized Lapua .243 brass with a COL of 2.825 is one of my go to loads. SAFE IN MY RIFLE might not be in yours. 139gr Scenars over 45.3 is another one.

Ads