shell holder for .338 Lapua

This is a discussion on shell holder for .338 Lapua within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'm looking for what y'all use for shell holder for the .338 Lapua. I ordered one from Midway for the .338 and it was too ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

shell holder for .338 Lapua

I'm looking for what y'all use for shell holder for the .338 Lapua. I ordered one from Midway for the .338 and it was too small #14 (I think RCBS maybe Lyman), I then tried one for the .416 Rigby (RCBS 37) and that one was too small. The .45-70 is supposed to work, but mine doesn't (too big). I have Lapua brass and I'm curious ops:
    M40 .300WSM
    Tactical SPG 6.5 Grendel
    6.5x47 Lapua
    Tactical Rifles .338 Lapua

Re: shell holder for .338 Lapua

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt45
    I'm looking for what y'all use for shell holder for the .338 Lapua. I ordered one from Midway for the .338 and it was too small #14 (I think RCBS maybe Lyman), I then tried one for the .416 Rigby (RCBS 37) and that one was too small. The .45-70 is supposed to work, but mine doesn't (too big). I have Lapua brass and I'm curious ops:
    Redding #35 and no more worries!
    Sully

There's a funny thing with these ..... RCBS did a special order shell holder a few years back for the .338LM for use with LAPUA brass cases, this was because the shell holders they sold for .338LM only fitted when using Norma brass and (I think) Hornady brass ..... but Lapua cases have a slightly different rebate than other brands, hence the problem.

My shell holder has RCBS 14 stamped on it and I only use Lapua brass
    Freedom should never be determined by need, it's a right, not a privilege.

My shell holder has RCBS #14 stamped on it and Lapua brass will not fit, not even close. I e-mailed RCBS about this and they said as you do, that the #14 holder is the one that I want. I have a Redding #35 on order and we shall see.
    M40 .300WSM
    Tactical SPG 6.5 Grendel
    6.5x47 Lapua

Check if Norma .338LM brass fits the #14 shell holder ..... if you don't have one take the shell holder and one of your Lapua cases to the local gun shops and see if they have a Norma case and try fitting it to the #14 then show them how the Lapua brass doesn't fit.

The original RCBS shell holder I purchased did not fit the Lapua brass and the new special one I got was a lot bigger in diameter than the standard. If I get an opportunity I will post a picture of the two together.

My shell holder has RCBS #14 stamped on it and Lapua brass will not fit, not even close. I e-mailed RCBS about this and they said as you do, that the #14 holder is the one that I want. I have a Redding #35 on order and we shall see.
    You won't be let down with the #35, I went this same road with the RCBS shell holders game with phone calls etc. I give up and bought a redding, Game over.
    Sully

OK .... here are my two shell holders .... the one on the left is an RCBS #17 and it fits the Lapua brass and the bigger one on the right is the "special" that I got from the owner of an NZ commercial ammunition company and NZ Lapua agent, who in telling me, gave me the impression they were made specifically for his .338 Lapua needs. He had two of them sent from RCBS one he gave to me ..... the "special" is marked 416 R (igby?) .... and works great.

I thought the .416 Rigby would do the trick too, the one that I got did not it was an RCBS #37. The Redding is on the way and we shall see. I have my fingers crossed. I will see if I can find some Norma brass, but my closest gun shop that might have anything like that is Cabela's and that's a bit of a hike. Not in a real hurry as the rifle isn't finished yet :cry:
    M40 .300WSM
    Tactical SPG 6.5 Grendel
    6.5x47 Lapua

I thought the .416 Rigby would do the trick too, the one that I got did not it was an RCBS #37. The Redding is on the way and we shall see. I have my fingers crossed. I will see if I can find some Norma brass, but my closest gun shop that might have anything like that is Cabela's and that's a bit of a hike. Not in a real hurry as the rifle isn't finished yet :cry:
    I found the RCBS#37 to be on the tight side for Lapua brass, and the RCBS#14 to be on the loose side, You want the case head to float just a little but not much as to cause mis-alignement when sizing causing run out issues and the Redding #35 fills that bill for me. It is true that early on RCBS had an early version of the #14 that was slated for Lapua brass but did not work,and the newer version like I stated I find to loose. I hope you find the right one for your process and think that the Redding #35 will do that. That's my .02
    Sully

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads