What bullet does the 5.56 NATO FBI OTM round use?

This is a discussion on What bullet does the 5.56 NATO FBI OTM round use? within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; The loaded ammo for the 5.56x45mm NATO 62 Grain ZQ3314 Open Tip Match ammunition has come up for sale again: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/941486 ... -box-of-20 But ... ...

What bullet does the 5.56 NATO FBI OTM round use?

The loaded ammo for the 5.56x45mm NATO 62 Grain ZQ3314 Open Tip Match ammunition has come up for sale again: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/941486 ... -box-of-20

But ... I'd be interested to load my own using that bullet. But ... what bullet is it?

The closest I've been able to find is the Barnes Triple Shock or Tac-X, but those are all copper. So they're not the same bullet.

Any ideas?

If interested in context, I'm in pursuit of the ultimate defense/combat load for my 5.56 pistol with a 9.2" barrel. I believe that the heavier (e.g. 62-grain) bullets will perform better in a short-barreled weapon than will the 55's, but that I probably could not stabilize a bullet of 70+ grains in it. So I'm interested in the 62-grain rounds. I've currently got some milsurp XM855 green-tip ammo, but like the idea of a better-performing projectile.

Thanks!

Re: What bullet does the 5.56 NATO FBI OTM round use?

Well, I can't find the bullet from any of the reloading suppliers at this point. Too bad.

Other forums don't seem to have the answer either. I may just have to get some of the loaded ammo. It boasts some pretty good velocities (according to some reports) from short-barreled weapons, so I might have a hard time duplicating the recipe even if I could find the bullet.

I'm concerned for velocity for terminal performance. Unless you overpenetrate, the higher the velocity, the harder a hit your target takes -- regardless of the weapon. If you follow the debates over best pistol calibers (e.g. is the 9mm or the 45 or the .357 the best?) velocity is one component.

Now i don't intend to shoot at anything more menacing than a paper silhouette with my 5.56 pistol, my .40 S&W or my .308. But ... if I have to, I want each hit to count!

My 5.56 pistol can't go everywhere my .40 can, but it can go places a carbine can't, open carry being frowned upon in many jurisdictions.

Forums are generally places for the sharing of information. The catch is that we need to remember what kind forum this is and some subjects simply shouldn't be discussed. If you are someone who has a genuine need for that kind of information, chances are you are going to shoot what you are told to out of an issued weapon system so you don't need to ask on a public forum.
    .308 Howa 1500 w/24" heavy varmint barrel
    .223 Howa 1500 w/24" heavy varmint barrel
    Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit upper on a C3 Defence lower
    http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64/Welcome.html

Sorry to cross the line on here.

Those other than military & LEO's have defensive needs too, and many members here recognize that. No one issues us ammunition and weapons and orders us to use that ammunition in those weapons.

It had been long enough since I read the terms of use here that I didn't realize terminal performance is a forbidden topic.

It being a *legitimate* topic, self-defense by civilians being legitimate anywhere and still legal in the US, and terminal performance bearing on self-defense, I'll discuss it elsewhere.

This community is one the most courteous and least given to nonsensical bragging, so I value this groups opinions. Hence, asking this group about the issue.

I'll certainly be back to ask SC about other *accuracy* or reloading issues ... with the idea that the only thing I would ever consider shooting is a piece of paper.

I copied this description of the ammunition you were asking about from the link you provided. This was designed for glass penetration and wouldn't meet the performance expectations you stated earlier.

The 5.56x45mm NATO ammunition was manufactured by Winchester for an FBI contract. Designed as a barrier defeating round with superior penetration and superb ballistic stability in the AR-15 rifle. The load features the accurate 62 grain Open Tip Match bullet, which utilizes a hollow-point design with lead at the front and a thick copper base. The reloadable brass case is boxer primed and loaded with non-corrosive powder and primer. Our buyers were able to obtain a limited supply of this high-performance ammunition for our customers. Some cases may have slight dings or imperfections.
    This round was designed to "over penetrate". The open tip design has been shown to perform more predictably, if you can say that about any glass shot, when fired from non perpendicular angles. The open tip "grips" the glass instead of glancing off like a full metal jacket does. That being said, there are really no "good" glass shots. The round in question, is not designed to expand, but rather have as much of the bullet as possible stay intact. Usually, on a traditional bullet the jacket and the core separate as they penetrate the glass, losing mass, and flying in an increasingly unpredictable manner. This round was designed specifically to limit this. I need to repeat, there are no predictable glass shots. If I had to make a glass shot, the 5.56 with ANY ammunition would not be among my top choices.

This would not be a very good "home defense" round. It is prone to over penetration. I would steer clear of FMJ's and bullets designed to "defeat barriers" they will not deliver near the energy or wound channel that the spitzer or traditional hollow point will. It carries a very real danger of exiting your intended target and striking an unintended target. I would look for a controlled expansion bullet like a spitzer or traditional hollow point.

The difference in the actual energy delivered between a 55 grain bullet and a 62 grain bullet would be minimal, inside 100 yards. Any gains made by weight could be offset by the fact that you could drive the lighter bullet faster. The military switched from a 55 grain bullet to a 62 grain bullet, primarily because it offered a slightly better effective range. I think it added 50 meters to the 5.56 NATO. It actually performed worse terminally, because the bullet was too stable. It made .22 caliber holes, because of the tighter twist rifles needed to stabilize it. This problem has led to the development of the MK 262 Mod 1, which uses a 77 grain SMK, by the Special Forces.

Just about any hunting round will perform better for home defense than "green tip". Itís not particularly accurate and is prone to over penetration / under expansion. Its lack of stopping power has been well documented. The round you inquired about was designed for "barrier penetration" aka "glassĒ It would not be a suitable replacement for "green tip" given your stated desires. It would suffer from the same deficiencies.

For home defense I would stick with a conventional spitzer or hollow point. When I worked for the Idaho State Police, the issued duty round for 5.56 was a Winchester 52 grain hollow point, loaded specifically for Law Enforcement. Law Enforcement agencies are not limited by the rules of warfare as the US Military is. The Military issued ammunition is designed to meet criteria different than you would want for home defense and limited to the rules of warfare, namely no expanding bullets. For home defense you want a round that delievers all its energy into the intended target. The rounds you have described were not designed for that but rather for maximum penetration.
    What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.
    - William Shakespeare

Thanks, Shane. That description of the glass shot requirements makes a lot of sense.

One of the issues w/ the .22's is that so many of the bullets are designed for extreme fragmentation in small varmints -- not a defense scenario.

I'm looking more favorably at the Nosler Partitions.

If I were you, I'd spend some time reading the ammo oracle over at ar15.com, bearing in mind that most home defense scenarios are going to be at extremely close range (certainly inside 100 yards). Hornady TAP is generally regarded as acceptable for police departments around the country (hint: they're 55 grain A-max bullets), and there are a good selection of bonded/hunting bullets that are somewhere in between FMJ rounds and Barnes Varmint Grenades.

I'm temporarily stuck living in suburbia, so my home defense weapon is a tomahawk.
    Let us recollect that peace or war will not always be left to our option; that however moderate or unambitious we may be, we cannot count upon the moderation, or hope to extinguish the ambition of others. - Federalist 34

Ads