.270 win for range

This is a discussion on .270 win for range within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; So the question I have is this. what is the long range capability of the 270 compared to something like 308? I have a rifle ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

.270 win for range

So the question I have is this. what is the long range capability of the 270 compared to something like 308? I have a rifle in 270 and was looking to see how far i could push it. could it hit a target at a 1000 yards assuming that the only limitation is the 270 round itself and not the rifle?

Re: .270 win for range

270 is a great caliber with the potential for excellent ballistics. HSM loads a 130 Berger VLD. This bullet is very good for long range is available at Cabela's. That coupled with a faster muzzle velocity and you will be rocking 1000 yards.

Your biggest question is whether or not you have a suitable scope with tactical turrets and enough elevation. You aren't going to hold-over that far out!

The best part is that you already own the rifle!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Warning: This post is being monitored by our Surveillance State.

I built my first custom gun as a .270 with a Shilen heavy barrel - you'd be surprised at how the ballistics on some of the available bullets check out. I'll post some pictures and a more complete discussion later - I'm in the middle of something rather important.
    Let us recollect that peace or war will not always be left to our option; that however moderate or unambitious we may be, we cannot count upon the moderation, or hope to extinguish the ambition of others. - Federalist 34

Thanks for the feedback! Now the question is how much elevation would be enough to shoot that distance? Ive been looking at scopes with 80 moa. Is that enough? and also what i can i do to help get me on target at that range? anything i can read?

80 moa (really 40 moa) should easily do it for 130 gr vld at 3000 ft/sec muzzle velocity at 1000 yrds. To be sure, mount your scope on a 20 moa rail.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

Is a great external ballistics website for running what-ifs.

Great hunting round....but for LR shooting not so much.

As has already been pointed out the bullet selection for best LR shooting is not there as for the 30's and 6.5's. This lack of match grade bullets has limited several guys that I have trained /trained with who have tried to make 270's into serious LR rigs.

Our experiences have been that at around 600-700 yards the grouping capabilities of existing 270 bullets seems to fall apart. This is with experienced shooters with capable gear with same day/condition comparisons with 30's and 6.5's.

FWIW

YMMV

good luck

Well I don't have any first hand experience past 500 yards, where I was just ringing steel - that was with HSM ammo loading 130 gr Berger VLDs. Later, I've used hand loaded ammo with the same bullet. I've also got some 165 gr VLDs from Matrix Ballistics to try - just haven't had a chance, yet. I think some others on this site have had some luck with 270 and hand loads.

I think the important point here is that the the OP already has the rifle. I would suggest buying a few boxes of HSM-130 gr Bergers and giving it a try. If it doesn't work you had a day and the range. And any day at the range is a ... good day.

Quote Originally Posted by was21
    Great hunting round....but for LR shooting not so much.

As has already been pointed out the bullet selection for best LR shooting is not there as for the 30's and 6.5's. This lack of match grade bullets has limited several guys that I have trained /trained with who have tried to make 270's into serious LR rigs.

Our experiences have been that at around 600-700 yards the grouping capabilities of existing 270 bullets seems to fall apart. This is with experienced shooters with capable gear with same day/condition comparisons with 30's and 6.5's.

FWIW

YMMV

good luck
    My mileage does vary. My first bolt action rifle was a Savage 110 in .270 Win - just a standard hunting tapered barrel, wood stock, etc - totally factory, nothing special. I couldn't get over how accurate that thing was, though. I got interested, and wound up building it into this:

The only things left from the original rifle are the action and the front of the bolt. While I'm not really a fan of the stock, it works for what it is. The barrel is a Shilen select match that I had to order directly from them, since they don't generally make bull barrels like this in 270. Ground recoil lug, yada yada yada. It's a decent build for relatively low cost. To give you an idea of just how little taper I have on this barrel...

She's a heavy beast :mrgreen:

Now, is there a lot of off-the-shelf match-grade ammo for you to shoot with a 270? Not really. Are there plenty of perfectly accurate bullets with decent BC's to pick from? Absolutely. So long as you handload, you can make this round do some amazing things, even out at long range. Perhaps most impressive is that it retains energy and bucks the wind a bit better at long range than its .30 caliber cousin (using the more common bullets). The recoil is noticeably milder on the 270 as well. Personally, my best results have been with the Sierra 135 grain Matchking BTHP, BC = 0.488. Out of my 26" barrel, I'm pushing these up between 3100 and 3200 fps at the muzzle, and I'm not seeing much in the way of pressure signs. Here's a comparison:

Energy:

By about 500 yards, the 135 grain SMK is pretty much indistinguishable from 168's and 178's out of a similarly barreled (and hot loaded) '06. The 208 AMax, of course, kicks the crap out of all of them.

Drop:

135 SMK, as expected, has a significantly flatter trajectory outside of 600 yards.

Windage:

208 again beats out everything, but the 135 is next, followed by 178's and 168's

Velocity:

135 on top by far out to 1000, Amax then takes over with its massive BC. The 135 SMK hits the transonic region about 200 yards further on than the 168's and 178's.

Obviously, these are far from perfect comparisons, but the ballpark shows that the performance is on par with or better than a good number of equally hot .30-06 loads. If you're handloading, you'd be surprised the accuracy and flatness you'll get in .270 Win. Plus, if you buy a Savage, you can turn it into an '06 later if you like. I got both :mrgreen:
    Let us recollect that peace or war will not always be left to our option; that however moderate or unambitious we may be, we cannot count upon the moderation, or hope to extinguish the ambition of others. - Federalist 34

I got to say your rifle looks pretty nice. What twist rate do you have on that barrel? And what scope are you using? I would like to start hand loading my own ammo but im not really sure where to start. Im also on a budget so im not sure how much i could really do. Do you have any tips? also whats your opinion on laminate stocks?

Twist rate is 1-10", which is the usual twist rate for .270. I'm using a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x with 0.1 mil clicks - basically the lowest-end scope I'd go with, but it's very decent. Fixed scopes will usually give you better glass for the money than adjustable scopes, as they're far simpler to manufacture, but there's no way to dial down the magnification for more up-close work (like deer hunting).

Handloading is an investment, but if you do any appreciable amount of shooting, or precision shooting in general, it's well worth it in the long run. You will shoot much more for the money you spend, and the ammo you make can be better than anything you can buy off the shelf. Get the book "The ABC's of Reloading" and read through it - it's an excellent explanation of reloading and how it works. Also, there are some good guides here, just search around. I got started in precision shooting during my first trip through grad school - I had zero money, essentially, but I made do.

Tips:

1.) Get a good bolt-action rimfire, and practice at short range. A LOT cheaper to do the bulk of your practice, and the trigger time will give you many of the skills you'll need for longer-range and higher-power work. I spend about as much time behind my 22 at 50 and 100 yards as I do behind my big rifles at longer range. Also, because it's so much cheaper, you're apt to do it more often. A Savage MK II will run you as much as 10 boxes of .270 ammo.

2.) Do not buy a scope for under $150. You don't need a 20x to reach out to 500+. A solid name brand 10x is far better than an off-brand 30x.

3.) Breathe. Relax. Aim. Squeeze. Shot. Google BRASS accurate shooting. Great way to get started.

4.) Don't get caught up in shooting the ubiquitous 3-shot group. If you're shooting for groups, shoot 5 or 10 shot groups. I prefer to do more practical shooting, but shooting groups at first can be useful to learn to recognize what mistakes you might be making. Consistency is key, and shooting groups will teach you this. You'll be surprised at how focusing on fundamentals (see number 3) will make a VERY significant difference in your shooting.

Edit: Welcome to the disease :mrgreen:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads