.270 WSM vs .308 or .300WMS

This is a discussion on .270 WSM vs .308 or .300WMS within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hi all - I know I'll get several opinions here, but I'm just researching ballistics and calibers for my next rifle purchase. I was all ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

.270 WSM vs .308 or .300WMS

Hi all - I know I'll get several opinions here, but I'm just researching ballistics and calibers for my next rifle purchase. I was all set on a .308 or a .300 WM when I came across the .270 WSM.

I am familiar w/ a regular .270 ( I have a Rem 700BDL and a Savage). I like the feel and recoil, or lack of... However, I'm not sure if it would be decent for elk here in Montana. I figured I'd just get a .300 WM and be done w/ it.

Does anyone have an opinion on the .270 WSM versus the other 2 calibers? it seems the .270 wsm has a better MV than the .308 as well as a little better knock-down power at great distance. I know the .300 beats both, but I just don't like the recoil of a .300 WM.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great!

- TonyMT

do you have a .270 or .270 WSM?
    either way the right .270 cal loads will do fine on elk
    you want the right loads though... i hope someone else can let you know what load that is
    im not sure about .270 cal ammo though since i do not own any .270s
    you have to find one that you think is the round designed for what your intend to use it for (big game hunting) and one in that category that does the best in your rifle

now then for going to something heavier:
    a .300 WSM might be a bit more power than a .270 but you dont always need to go that much heavier
    lots of people are way too over gunned... shot placement is more critical
    id rahter get a good shot off with a .270 on an elk (that will kill it) than a bad shot with a .375 H&H magnum (that would wound it)

thanks for the reply...

Currently, I have a .270 and am looking at buying a .270 WSM... or .308 or .300 WM.... My uses will be deer and elk, maybe moose at some point.

The other side to that is I'd like it to be somewhat tactical (mainly for looks, I guess). I suppose I could just put a tac scope and stock on either one and it would take care of both desires...

Tony,

I researched this delima (sp) a while back when i was deciding on a caliber to buy. For deer the 270 WSM would be a great round. For elk I would be a little leary of it. That 130 gr bullet is just a little light for me. I know of people that have killed elk with 270's but I think I would want a little more gun than that especially if your paying for your hunt and you have a year's saving riding on one shot. For moose, I have only seen 2 moose (meese?????) in my life and man those things are huge. I would definitely want something big there. If your wanting a good all around shoot anything round I would go with any of the 300 mag variations, Winchester, Weatherby or Remington Ultra. There are so many different weights of bullets you can use that you can custom load for anything. Or you can work middle of the road and load a 180-200 gr bullet and be able to go after anything from javelina in South Texas to moose in Canada. The key to everything is shot placement though. Good luck on your decision.
    Too many people suffer from a sexually transmitted disease called "LIFE"

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal

Thanks Badshot - Well, the more I look at and think about it, I'm starting to lean more to the .300 WSM... The ballistics are as good as the 300WM w/o as much recoil (don't want to get the flinch). Since I already have 2 .270 rifles, it makes more sense to go to a higher caliber for bigger game. I'm going to check out the Tikka T3 Lite or stainless this afternoon - assuming they have a .300 WSM in stock.

Thanks for the input!

-TonyMT

Tony,

Nice to see another montanan on the board.... not many of us!!

The .300 WSM is a good caliber, and it is less recoil then the 300WM, but don't believe all the hype, its not THAT much less. About in between the .30-06 and .300 WM in terms of recoil. The T3 lite isn't going to help either (lighter weight rifles equal MORE recoil). Now, do not let this discourage you. You can generally have a nice muzzle brake put on a rifle for about $150, and this should put the recoil to about .308 or maybe less. So test the rifle, if its too much recoil, have a muzzle brake put on it. This sounds like a good approach to me, and Tikka makes a very nice rifle.

MEL

Thanks Mel - I appreciate the feedback... I was already considering the muzzlebreak, but was concerned that it may effect the accuracy. Is that a non-issue in this case? Thanks!!
    - Tony

decision made... I've decided to go w/ .300WSM. I came across a nice Savage 12FVSS at the local gunsmith shop. Its got the heavy 26" barrell and acutrigger. They are going to put a muzzlebrake on it this afternoon and I pick it up in about 2 hours. I'm excited! My wife is going to :shock: Oh well!

Once I get it home, I'll take some pics of it and post it in the gallery. Thanks again for the feedback on this!

- TonyMT

Just dont tell your wife. Let it be a surprise to her. :shock:

I wonder why I'm not mrried? :lol:
    Too many people suffer from a sexually transmitted disease called "LIFE"

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal

LOL! I know - It CAN be a death sentence... My wife is pretty cool about my "splurging", usually... However, I've never come home w/ an expensive rifle. There's a first time for everything! If I don't show up on the forum within the next few days, you'll know why!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads