.223 .308 or 300 Win Mag?

This is a discussion on .223 .308 or 300 Win Mag? within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I want to buy a new gun tomorrow for shooting up to 600 yards at paper. Which caliber would yall pick for good performance and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

.223 .308 or 300 Win Mag?

I want to buy a new gun tomorrow for shooting up to 600 yards at paper. Which caliber would yall pick for good performance and fun of shooting? P.S.( I know the .300 is not that fun )

.223 range

Can the .223 be shot accuratly to 1000 yards? If not what range do yall think is about max?

Regarding .223...

Depends a lot on the bullet, load, and rifle. But 1000 is pretty much beyond any reasonable hope for accuracy. For the most part, once you are much past about 600yds, you are pretty well going to be subsonic and stability starts becoming a real factor. That's not to say that you can't hit a steel gong at 800yd or even 1000yd but any wind will play hell with the bullet.

But for up to 600yds, then a .223 can be a good round. I've shot .223 at 600yds with nothing more than a 69gr SMK and managed to do fairly well. The biggest advantage to the .223 is that you can shoot a lot more for the money without recoil issues. And it will really push you to shoot as well as you possibly can because you are skirting the limits of the caliber.
    Last edited by gsmithplm; 12-31-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Edited due to change in topic
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

Administrator
    The .223 and it's angry brother the 5.56x45mm NATO are both highly capable at 600 yards for paper-punching, and they can be made to do well at 1,000..but not much further, but there is a serious caveat:

Barrel twist selection is of the most paramount importance.

Unless you have a rifle with 8.00" or tighter twist and a barrel 18" or longer, you cannot run the 77-grain and 80-grain bullets at the speeds and stability that are really just about a requirement to step onto the line at 600 yards. There's really only one exception, and that is the 75 Hornady.

To be able to run 1,000 yards, you need a 6.500" twist barrel, a LOT of powder, and the 90-grain class bullets. Any way you slice it, something (ANYTHING) in a 0.473" case head is almost always better suited to that task than the 5.56.

I have done quite well with the 5.56 at 600, as have many others. I'd feel very capable of 750-yard shooting with that rifle and loads. I am a big proponent of using the round that far out.

What I will NOT do is tell you that something a little larger will not make it easier to shoot 600 yards. Simple example: a scoped 6.5x47 Lapua running the 123 Sierra will make 600 yards seem like chump change to a good shooter. So will .243 Winchester, .30 Gov't, .260 Remington, .375 H&H, .257 Roberts, .22-250...

Get the idea?

For a target ONLY rifle, balance these things:

--At what range you want to shoot, and at what target? What external ballistics are needed for that purpose, and how much accuracy can you make real use of on the range?

--With the answer to the above, what cartridge and bullet combination will get you there with the greatest ease regarding:
    --lowest recoil,
    --highest barrel life,
    --best accuracy,
    --and best component cost/availability (if you handload)?

--What's the rifle selection in that cartridge and what are the manufacturer's barrel twist(s) available in that rifle to suit your needed bullets/loaded rounds?

--What's the cost of the platform? Does this balance well with the need for optics and mounts and/or quality iron sights?

--What does Nate think about my ideas?

(Okay, now I'm being ridiculously facetious. But seriously, if you get to the point where you are thinking about ordering and want to run it by all of us for a final check, feel free...the majority of us don't do this for our career, but a lot of us treat it that way the rest of the time.)

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

223 is a hard round to find. Can't even seem to find quality 223 brass. Something to think about. P.s. if anyone knows where I can find some quality 223 brass for precision reloading set me straight, please. It's the only thing from keeping me from ordering reloading equipment.

Banned
    Just wait a month or two for things to die down.. Hopefully this proposed legislation gets swatted down and we can all continue on like normal.. Then you will be able to find Tons of .223 brass

Banned
    Here, you can help win this fight, write your elected officials! --> Congress.org ? Get informed, get involved

Thanks for all the help guys. I bought a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .223 with a Nikon 3-12 M-.223 scope. It should be a good starting platform for a run at 600 yards.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra7 View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys. I bought a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .223 with a Nikon 3-12 M-.223 scope. It should be a good starting platform for a run at 600 yards.
    Nope.

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by natdscott View Post
    Nope.

-Nate
    Sadly I agree.. The rifle is a good place to start.. The action will serve you well for a long time.. Optics however, not the best choice..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads