Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Bi metal bullets

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  deadshot2 
#1 ·
So I have been looking at ammo and posts around the internet. Can't believe some of the stuff I read. Like this: "Bullet friction does not wear out a barrel. It is the hot combustion gasses that melt away the steel. If friction was the primary cause, the barrel at the muzzle would go first." WHAT?!?!? I found a good article here USPSA Member Discounts and Promotions - United States Practical Shooting Association The copper 'jacket' is only microns thick...over STEEL....not the same as a true cupro nickle jacket. If I am in an "End of World" scenario, I wouldn't care about my ammo as long as I had some and it worked...everytime! As for cheap shooting, I am building a 9mm AR carbine...just for that...and to have another AR! I make ammo so I can get tons of 9mm for almost free! I can make 1000 rds of 9mm in about 40 minutes. And here is another great test about steel case versus brass case ammo. I know most steel case ammo is loaded with bi metal (steel jacketed) bullets. If I am wrong, please post a link to the steel ammo with normal copper (cupro nickel) bullets. Here is the test on Lucky Gunner. Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo - An Epic Torture Test

#2 ·
Read this:

https://www.uspsa.org/front-sight-magazine-article.php?Should-I-Buy-BiMetal-Ammo-8

When steel comes in contact with steel at high speed or temperature, "welding" occurs. That thin layer of copper (or gilding metal) is only there to prevent the welding. Doesn't do much to prevent the wear caused by the harder metals.

If you are in a TEOTWAWKI scenario then it wouldn't matter if your bullets were cast using Portland Cement.
The rest of the time I certainly wouldn't be running these bullets through a barrel that might cost anywhere from $300-$700 and expected to remain accurate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.