.260 Rem vs. .308

This is a discussion on .260 Rem vs. .308 within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'm new to the forum, but not to shooting....I'm 62....Marine, Nam vet...done a lot of shooting. My most accurate rifle (out to 500 yds) is... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

.260 Rem vs. .308

I'm new to the forum, but not to shooting....I'm 62....Marine, Nam vet...done a lot of shooting. My most accurate rifle (out to 500 yds) is... believe it or not an old Rem 6oo vent ribbed in the 6.5 Rem Mag. I fell in love with that little rifle when I got back from Nam....and I can still cover a 3-shot group at 200 yds with a dime....That was then...this is now.

I want to BUILD one more long-range (1000 yds only) weapon system and I always figured it would be in the .308....and now I have been reading about the .260 offering the same energy as a .308 but with greatly improved long-range ballistics. I don't own a .260 nor have I ever shot one....period. I just figured that someone out here has and can give me advice....and for now just the bullet is what I want to decide on.

I have visited with several snipers (er, uh....Designated Marksman) here in Iraq and this topic came up. I want to get it right the first time and then spend the rest of my life shooting and tuning it to perfection...as a hobby. Thanks in advance for any help you give.
    USMC
    An Hoa
    1968-69

"You can run...but you'll just die tired."

The 260 is a 308 necked down to the 6.5, which has far superior ballistic coeffecients. It is a superior long range cartridge, BUT there is little factory support for it. You will need to hand load for real performance. I am trying to have some ammo special loaded for us from a manufacturer here. If it works out, it'll be 123gr at near 2900 fps

MEL

Mele,
    How does the .260 compare with the 7-08? I am thinkinh of another rifle build and I am up in th air as well between the .260, 7-08 and .308.

I hope this isn't considered hijacking a thread...

Thanks,
    B.
    "For you be strong, do not let your hands be weak, your work shall be well rewarded."

AnHoa59

Do you want something that is gonna last you or have to rebarrel in 2500-3500 rounds?

The 308 will outlast the 260 in barrel life and is a good round for 1000 yard shooting. You will either have to have the correct twist rate to shoot the 155's or you can shoot the 175 and up bullets. You have to push the 175's pretty hard to keep it sonic at 1000 but is done all the time.

I have a 260 and will tout it anytime i can :lol:

I have seen the ballistic advantage first hand at a highpower match against the 308. My 260 shooting 120gr bullets was 10moa less in elevation and 4-5 moa less in winddrift at 1000 yards. It definately helped me against the palma shooters that are good wind readers.

Anybody can adjust for elevation but a ballistic advantage will be a trmendous help when the wind blows.

If you don't reload then i will say go with the 308. There are bountifuls of match grade ammo that will shoot lights out.

For the 260 you MUST reload to get to its top performance.

I am pushing the 120's 3160(but can get them higher) and comfortable pushing the 139's 2950fps. I also have a 30" broughton barrel

I would go with a 26-28" barrel for either. You should be able to get above 2800 with the 140 class bullets and over 3000 with 120 class bullets in the 260.

So i say 260 all the way baby!

Winny

I would go 7-08 instead of the 308 but

Would take the 260 over both of them.

One of each?

MEL

.260 Rem vs. .308

Mel and Matt,

Thanks, I knew I could get honest feedback from you guys that's been there on the long range shooting end. All of my shooting was mostly against the 2-legged type at a different time and place....every shot had to count...some out to 7-800 yds. The old sniper rifle was nothing like today's, but it got the job done...and I wasn't a "sniper" by MOS.

I was not aware of the the .260 barrel life issue being that different from the .308! Of course, if I knew everything I wouldn't be here asking. Now, I will have to give some serious thought on that issue alone. :?

I do plan on reloading (again), but was considering the 139-grain Lapua Scenar (.615 BCE)....I guess that would really eat up barrel life if one kept it over 3000!? All the testing I've seen have been on hunting rounds only...nothing to 1k+ yds.If you know of a place to see this data or have any, I'd love to look at it.

Thanks, for your comments & advice..........Jerry (Iraq)
    USMC
    An Hoa
    1968-69

The 260 barrel life isn't bad when loads are kept moderate and especially with mid weight (120gr) bullets. Its the very LONG 139-142gr bullets that tend to be hard on the throats of the 260 rifles, especially when you push them at high speeds and pressures. This is why I like the scenar 123gr at about 2900fps. This matches the ballistics of the 300 Win Mag 190gr at 2900fps federal match load, but with far less recoil and cost (at the sacrafice of energy on target).

MEL

Jerry

What kind of test are you looking for? are you looking for data?

Pushing a 139 to 3000fps will kill a barrel and you will be buying brass every reloading. I have a 30" barrel and can get 3000 with the 139s but too hard on brass. Brass life is better at 2950.

In a 24" barrel with the 260 you are only looking at around 2700 with the 139's. In the same length you can achieve 2950 with 120gr class bullets.

If you keep the 260 at sane and easy brass life pressures it will last. For my 260 match rifle i want to run them as fast as i can go. Every little bit helps in the wind. If i can get 5 loadings in my brass i am okay.

I am trying to get things together for another 260 build for a hunting rig. For this gun i will keep speeds more moderate.

Mel & Matt,

Sorry for the delay.....I started this and had to stop....lost the reply somewhere is space? We encountered some "interruptions" that had to get handled...another day in Iraq! Oh, well....no one injured! (These guys are bad.....not like Nam!)

Just wanted to thank you for the input...I will heed the advise and go with the 123 gr for the .260 Rem....I am fairly confident that will be the caliber I choose...I am still waiting on a couple of active Marine 8541's to get the latest data on some tests they have done.

Since I am new to the forum.....I guess this is where I am suposed to leave C&C and head to the "barrel" forum somewhere. If you choose to input there, I'll certainly look forward to hearing from you....if not....somewhere down the road you will see and hear about the rifle you helped design for this old Marine!

God Bless and Semper Fi
    Jerry
    USMC
    An Hoa
    1968-69

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads