Nosler 280 AI Brass?

Nosler 280 AI Brass?

This is a discussion on Nosler 280 AI Brass? within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hello everyone, I am in the process of putting together a 280 Ackley Improved. Should have it finished by Aug, just waiting on the stock. ...

Nosler 280 AI Brass?

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of putting together a 280 Ackley Improved. Should have it finished by Aug, just waiting on the stock. Seems brass is scarce. It's easy enough to fire form regular Rem 280 brass but was wanting to get some Nosler 280 AI brass. I havnt been able to find it anywhere. Does Nosler only produce it seasonally/one time per year?

Not sure about the 280 AI since it is now SAAMI standard, but you might to double check with you smith that the Nosler brass will work with your rifle.

I have a 260AI, and there were multiple reamer options for it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NovaHunter View Post
    Not sure about the 280 AI since it is now SAAMI standard, but you might to double check with you smith that the Nosler brass will work with your rifle.

I have a 260AI, and there were multiple reamer options for it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Thanks Nova,

My gunsmith is going with the SAAMI spec reamer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Check Nosler on line, I found different brass from them. The price was a little high to me. Nosler has it own website and offers a club membership. I went on line and Nosler, Graf & Son did not have 280 Ackley in stock. Good luck Mr. Phelps.
    Last edited by waltercrouse; 03-30-2017 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by waltercrouse View Post
    Check Nosler on line, I found different brass from them. The price was a little high to me. Nosler has it own website and offers a club membership. I went on line and Nosler, Graf & Son did not have 280 Ackley in stock. Good luck Mr. Phelps.
    I sent an email to Nosler and they said that they don't have the 280AI on the production schedule in the near term and to check back with them sometime mid summer. Sounds like it could be a while before we see it on the shelves.

Nosler is good brass, soft but consistent. But as you have found it is near non-existent in the near future so I bought the superior Lapua 30-06 brass and a Custom Hydro forming die that allows me to form 280AI brass from the 30-06 cases.

You could go this route or if you don't want to invest in the equipment required we could talk.

1,3,5 are hydro formed only while 2&4 are Nosler cases with 7 firings.

Brass is sized in 2 steps, hydro formed, neck sized and then neck turned as shrinking the 06 brass thickens the neck too much for most chambers.

One could make the case of why .280 AI and not 28 Nosler or 7mm Remington Magnum.
    I was never one for wildcats as there are traps like reamer issues, smith issues and brass...

Sense your problem. One of my pieces is a 280 AI, but I bought 3 or 4 boxes of Remington 280 brass and fire formed it to 280 AI. Other than loading too much power into the cartridge, I have had no issues. Some have gone beyond 4 0or 5 reloads and probably might go more.

I check each time I fire for signs of anomalies, but as of yet have not found any.

This might be an alternative to Nosler brass.
    In adversity remember to keep an even mind, train hard and fight easy.
    Horace/Alexander Suvoro

I just got an update from Nosler today. The 280 AI brass is set for production in July and should be available come August. Timing wise this works for me as my Manners stock wont be ready until August as well. Knock on wood for no production delays from Nosler.

Ads