.300 Weatherby Magnum vs. .308 norma Magnum

This is a discussion on .300 Weatherby Magnum vs. .308 norma Magnum within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Alright guys I am about to start another build and at the last minute I changed my mind on the caliber. So here is what ...

View Poll Results: Which round

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • .300 Weatherby magnum

4 50.00%
  • .308 Norma Magnum

3 37.50%
  • .30-378 Weatherby Magnum

1 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

.300 Weatherby Magnum vs. .308 norma Magnum

Alright guys I am about to start another build and at the last minute I changed my mind on the caliber. So here is what I want to know. It looks as if the two round mentioned above have very similar ballistics, both can push a 180gr bullet at about 3000fps. Which one makes for a better field round, or does it really matter? If this helps I intend to use this rifle for hunting big game and long range shooting.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

I've got a 300 H&H.

It's exceptionally accurate, has a long neck for bullet seating and, properly handloaded, it's just shy of the 300 Weatherby.

Down the road a bit I plan on testing out the new SMK 210gn BTHPs, loaded hot. That's what I call "fun" @ 1200+yds. 8)
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting."

300 Weatherby magnum - Match ammo available and good enough for anything on this continent and certainly good to go for long distance too.

.308 Norma Magnum - Just to be different and all that entails. Had a friend that used to load this round with surplus powder from 20mm shells that he had access to...want the load data?

.30-378 Weatherby Magnum - To really burn powder in a hurry and impress/scare/p* off everyone else at the range!

:lol:
    Guns don't kill people. Sarah Brady does.

How about a 30/50BMG? After all, powder consumption doesn't seem to be a problem :shock: What kind of barrel life are you wanting to have(round count)? And could you expand on the size of "big game" you plan on hunting?

Really, if it was just target stuff and the round count/barrel life wasn't an issue with you.....I'd go 30-378Wby with a 3-groove barrel at 9-9.5 twist for the bigger projectiles. And finally the barrel would need to be 34" long or better, with a brake(your choice on style).

Scott B
    Take a child hunting/fishing....they are the future of the sport.

308 NM, Reason? why not :wink:
    I hate to be the cruel hand of reality slapping you across the face but, someone has to do it.

Life's hard, buy a helmet. You're not going to get coddled around here so get over it.

http://www.second-amendment.org/

The .300 Norma isn't enough different from the .300 Win mag to say so, and the .30-378 is just way to expensive cartridges and components for my taste. I voted .300 Weaterby, given the choices. There are a lot of cases for it now that so many manufacturers load for it and chamber rifles in it. Personally, I prefer the .300 Win mag. The .300 WSM and .300 Rem SAUM are a couple possiblities too.I've read the SAUM is supposed to be a good accuracy cartridge, although I have no experience with them.

Jeff
    Jeff passed away on July 17th, 2009, he will be GREATLY missed by everyone here at Sniper Central. Video Thread

" We cannot direct the wind,but we can adjust the sails." -Bertha Calloway

www.second-amendment.org

Quote Originally Posted by sdb777
    What kind of barrel life are you wanting to have(round count)? And could you expand on the size of "big game" you plan on hunting?
    I'm looking to get somewhere around 1500-2000 round barrel life. As for the big game part. I'm looking for something that is capable of takeing moose/grizzly size game @ 300 yards. This is just preplanning for future hunting trips.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffdorr
    I've read the SAUM is supposed to be a good accuracy cartridge, although I have no experience with them.
    I've looking at the ballistics for all these including the SAUM and the .300 weatherby pushes the bullets faster then the rest. But I have heard good thing about SAUM also.

Quote Originally Posted by junkyard_dog45
    .30-378 Weatherby Magnum - To really burn powder in a hurry and impress/scare/p* off everyone else at the range!
    Ah I already do this everytime I visit the range. When you see someone who has to make two or three trips to his vechile to unload you make an impression.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

None of the above.

If I was in the market for a .30 caliber magnum, I'd choose an unbelted case such as the .300 WSM.

Belted cases are a pain. Unbelted cases are much nicer to handload.

Mad.

.300 Wby. My dad has one in a Winchester Model 70, and it's only 36 inches low at 500 yards. He hunts elk with it, and has never had to use more than 1 shot, for over 13 years. It kicks harder than a .300 Win mag by alot, since it has more powder in the case. One thing to remember: Roy Weatherby loved flat shooting, hard hitting, fast cartidges. So any of the Weatherby family is a good choice for long distance shooting. I would feel confident taking on the largest grizz with a .300 wby with 220 grain slugs. It STOPS things, not only kills them.

The huge advantage of the 308 Norma is that it will fit into a surplus Mauser magazine without modification, although you do have to finesse the rails and modify the bolt face and extractor. It's short powder column give it an edge in efficiency. Many people report that in the 190+ grain category, it launches projectiles as fast as the 300 Win Mag. I have had excellent success in the accuracy department with the 308 Norma, and a friend of mine set his personal prarie dog record (735 yds) with it.

I do not know much about the Weatherby offering. Like others, I have heard that they are hard on throats. I have not had great success in accuracy with the 300 WM.

A cartridge that I have not tried, but looks interesting is the 30-338 wildcat. The AMU used this for 1000 yard competition for decades with great success. The difference between the 30-338 and the 300 WM is the neck, with the 30-338 having the longer one.
    Never assume that just because someone holds a license or certification, they know what they are doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads