Primer Seating Depth

This is a discussion on Primer Seating Depth within the Cartridges & Calibers forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hi, I'm reloading LC 92 brass. After cleaning, de-priming and swaging I'm making a couple turns using a lyman primer pocket uniformer. I have several ...

Primer Seating Depth

Hi, I'm reloading LC 92 brass. After cleaning, de-priming and swaging I'm making a couple turns using a lyman primer pocket uniformer. I have several questions.

1:
    Should I keep turning until all of the brass is shiny or just make a turn or two to clean the edges?

2:
    When seating the primer, do i just push it in until flush, or until it is fully seated.

I did a couple of test runs and when inserting until the primer is fully seated the primer sits 0.010" below the rim

Any advise would be helpful...Thanks
    Remington SPS Tactical 0.308

"And when you lose control, you'll reap the harvest you have sown" --PF

The primer should be below the rim. You want to be careful when uniform the primer pocket, you don't want to take too much. You'll just kinda have to get the feel of it. When you seat the primer, there should be some resistance. When the primers go in too smoothly, you know you've taken out too much brass.

After pockets have been uniformed, you don't have to do it again. The best bet is two or three turns with a pocket cleaner or cleaning brush, it doesn't matter if they are clean yet or not. You then put them in your tumbler and it will take off the rest of the carbon.

I don't think there is necessarily a right or a wrong way. I've talked to some BR shooters that don't to any primer cleaning at all; just uniforming the brass before first firing and leaving them alone after that. I think the best method is whatever you're comfortable with and gives you confidence in your loading.
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

Re: Primer Seating Depth

Quote Originally Posted by UsAndThem
    1:
    Should I keep turning until all of the brass is shiny or just make a turn or two to clean the edges?
    basically:: your choice. A simple quick spin through the tumbler gets the majority of the crap that impeads the rest of the reloading process. From here on in, its how clean do you want your brass. Me: I like shiny brass, and pick up the brass from the extraction so it gets back to the reloading bench without any crap on it. From here, I do case prep and sizing, so only one pass through the tumbler is necessary (rather than 2).

2:
    When seating the primer, do i just push it in until flush, or until it is fully seated.
    Should be 0.001 to 0.003 below the rim.

I seat primers by feel. If you use a good hand-priming tool, ( such as the RCBS tool ) you can feel the primer bottom home as it seats.

And after you get the hang of it, every primer will be properly seated just below the casehead.

It is hard to describe, but after you prime a few cases, you will understand what I mean.

Mad.

This guy recommends .003" to a max of .008" below flush:

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/reloa ... reload.cfm

It's a fairly long read, but much of the info transfers to reloading for bolt guns.
    I don't think your being at .010" below matters much if your firing pin can reach the primer. The important thing to remember, especially in semi-automatics, is to make sure the primer is below flush. EJS manufactures a primer pocket uniformer with carbide cutting heads that is adjustable for depth, if you want to cut to an exact depth. Did you measure the depth of the primer pocket before and after uniforming it, and compare it to your primer thickness? That will tell you if you if you need to go deeper. And yes, clean and shiny primer pockets are good. If you are already too deep, or deep enough, a number of reloading companies make a wire brush that you can chuck in a drill and clean the pockets with quickly. Hope this helps.

Thanks all! I really appreciate your suggestions and advice. After a long week at work it'll be nice to be doing more reloading and shooting this weekend.

Brian
    Remington SPS Tactical 0.308

"And when you lose control, you'll reap the harvest you have sown" --PF

.004 below the surface.

Not seating them below can cause the bolt to act sticky when closing it.
    Many reloaders make that mistake and believe they have to FL resize when the primer just needs to be seated a little deeper.
    that's clean !

Ads