Cleaning with rubbing alcohol??

This is a discussion on Cleaning with rubbing alcohol?? within the DIY forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Anyone use rubbing or isopropyl alcohol to clean their guns? Is it good or bad to use it? I figured it would work well if ...

Cleaning with rubbing alcohol??

Anyone use rubbing or isopropyl alcohol to clean their guns? Is it good or bad to use it? I figured it would work well if you put it in a small squirt bottle and just douse the gun with it to help get in the hard to reach places a q-tip cant get into. Plus it evaporates quickly,so you dont have to worry about it contaminating your gun oil..

Administrator
    1: Be careful of some paints, etc. on your stocks.

2: Be very sure you fully oil every last bit of metal, otherwise rust is in your future.

Also, if it is only metal parts you are cleaning, how about Acetone? (again, the emphasis on proper oiling afterwards).

ALL that said, neither alcohol or acetone cuts carbon, copper, or lead fouling.

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge 1997
    NRA Silhouette AA

When I refinish a surplus rifle I wipe the bare metal down with alcohol. I use some pretty harsh chemicals to strip the old finish off, so a little wipe down with alcohol removes any residue. Other than that, I don't use it.

Rigger
    I hate to be the cruel hand of reality slapping you across the face but, someone has to do it.

Life's hard, buy a helmet. You're not going to get coddled around here so get over it.

http://www.second-amendment.org/

I've found that el-cheapo Walmart carburator cleaner is about the best "high solvent" cleaner for washing out dried cosmoline or an initial cleaning of a C&R gun. Heck, I've even used it on wood stocks to leech out oil prior to rubbing on a new coat. It doesn't leave the stink that oven cleaner does..
    Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason...

I read somewhere that brake cleaner is good as well, for removing chemicals, body oils etc.

I went with a cheapo steam cleaner for the cosmoline it works well after you wash as much as you can off by hand. And break free for regular cleaning works well

I thought of using brake cleaner, however 2 of my guns have polymer frames and brake cleaner would destroy them.
    I just found out that isopropyl alcohol probably wouldnt be the best because it also contains about 50% water

I personally would avoid anything not designed for a gun unless you know for sure

No where near an expert here, But stick with the four foot section of cleaners in the shooting accesories at your local walmart for cheap or gunshop for the good stuff. It's gonna be hard to oil under the barrel and action unless your removing it everytime you clean it. And just for added knowledge Isopropyl alcohol comes in 2 types one is 50% diluted and the other is less comon 90% alcohol. Just personally I would use them to clean cuts, rub on bestings and as fuel in an alcohol stove even though dry gas is better for that and stick with the regular gun cleaning stuff.

Im not reffering to using is as a replacement to a quality gun solvent, just as a solution to getting into the hard to reach places to get dust and other foreign material out. Since we're on the topic, has anyone used the gun dip I saw somewhere? (currently trying to find the website I saw it on)

Ads