Recommend a recoil lug for Savage 10

This is a discussion on Recommend a recoil lug for Savage 10 within the DIY forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'm looking at the SSS one, as its the only aftermarket one I've seen, and I cant help but to wonder if there are better ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    inh

Recommend a recoil lug for Savage 10

I'm looking at the SSS one, as its the only aftermarket one I've seen, and I cant help but to wonder if there are better ones out there...

I don't know for sure, but I believe the factory remington ones will fit, and will be an improvement over the stock Savage piece. I have one I could send you if you would like.

-matt
    http://www.ordnancesystem.com/
    Ordnance System Designs, Inc.
    Stay tuned for details.

Be worthy of your freedom and of the sacrifice of those who protect it.

inh
    I really appreciate the offer, but I think I'm going to go with the SSS one unless I hear otherwise. I just got an email back from them and they are machined flat, not stamped, so I'm sure they're good to go.

sss are machined northlander also sells a machined lug and midway sells callahan lugs which are ground flat

I have a savage 110fp in .308 its the old pre- unaccuTrigger.

I am a new guy to this so I do not honestly know what I am talking about! I have been reading and reading and READING on SC, trying not ask the same questions that somone else recently asked. So I am glad that "inh" had the same question.

You mentioned that you looked to SSS for a recoil lug.... I have been looking for a new trigger and have been calling SSS to purchase one, for over a week now, and the phone is ALWAYS BUSY!!!!! This annoyed me so I bought one from rifle Basix and spent more money. I hope it gets here befor the weekend!

I have been considering an upgraded recoil lug as well, (I read that savage simply stampes them out, and are poor quality.

SSS sells a recoil lug but they are too busy for me :roll: so I have found them At Midway but I know nothing about the quality or if anyone else makes a better choice http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=641839

This is my question on the recoil lug.....

I read that on savage rifles, that the action face is not even and the face of the locking ring also has an uneven surface.... with that being said; will replacing the recoil lug do me any good without trueing all of these other connecting surfaces???? also, which would be better machined or ground flat?
    Every time I see a TacOps my mouth starts to water!

What else have you done to the rifle to improve accuracy? Is accuracy a problem now? If you are shooting .5 MOA already do you really want to change it? If accuracy is a problem measure your recoil lig to see if it does need to be replaced. I know of two well respected smiths on this board that use stock recoil lugs, one sells rifles with a .5 MOA guaruntee and the other has a .25 guaruntee. The recoil lugs are checked and trued if needed.

If you put a perfectly flat recoil lug on the rifle and the face of the action is warped or the threaded end of the barrel is warped wouldn't that have a hugely negative effect on barrel harmonics?

There are many pieces to the accuracy puzzle and the lug is one of them, but it's probably not the first one you want to address. Is your stock glass bedded? Have you upgraded your stock? The first thing I would do is replace the factory stock.

inh
    Wow, good questions and info guys =]

I emailed SSS yesterday, as the phone is iffy at best over here, and got a response right away.. For once email prevails =] I was going to go with their trigger, but I might want a heaver pull than 2 lbs, so timney it is..

As for the whole accuracy thing, personally I wanted to replace the lug because I'll be replacing the barrel as well. Aren't there other advantages to a thicker lug as well, besides an increase in accuracy (assuming that the barrel nut and receiver face are flat as well?)

if you want a heavier pull, riflebasix offers 4oz-3lbs if that fits your range... I know nothin about the performance of the trigger, but I just purchased the SAV-2 from Basix.... here is the link:
    http://www.riflebasix.com/savage.html
    Every time I see a TacOps my mouth starts to water!

IMO the SSS recoil lug is the way to go, and I know that Northland Shooting Supplies has them in stock, I just bought one from him yesterday,,, his number is 1-763-420-7163, Hope this helps.
    No matter your weapon....It's all about hitting your mark!

ill say this if you have the standard 10 fp with the cheap stock the first thing i recomend is to upgrad the stock they seem to like a full bed aluminum when ya get the stock changed take it out and shoot it they are very very very accurate rifles now if it starts to fall off or groups open up too wide then id start thinkin about true and time the action and barel lug
    or if you were to change barrels then change the lug that being said ....
    now if you got the money to spend you can send it to sss or at least get on the list or check out losok he does some nice savages i myself bought a standard 10fp and a ultimate sniper stock(heavy) tourqed it to 50 inch pounds and went shooting it shoots sub.5 moa pics are in my gallery or introduction post so im not touching it my thought if it aint broke dont fixit
    thats my three or four cents worth

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ads