Stock Texture (lots of pics)

This is a discussion on Stock Texture (lots of pics) within the DIY forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Well, here it is, the long awaited stock texture how to. First my apologies, I’m not a photographer, as you will notice by the pictures. ...

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Stock Texture (lots of pics)

Well, here it is, the long awaited stock texture how to.

First my apologies, I’m not a photographer, as you will notice by the pictures. Also, the texture is finished, but the stock is not. I will be shooting the entire rifle with Duracoat once I get a break in the weather, (tutorial to follow.)

Okay, step one is to gather your materials. For this job you’ll need.
    Marine Tex
    Sandpaper
    Painters/masking tape
    Rubber gloves
    Exacto knife
    Tongue depressors
    Paper towels
    Toluene, Acetone, or rubbing alcohol

Now, I’m assuming you have already removed the action, bottom metal and other hardware from the stock, if not do so.

Go ahead and sand the finish off of your stock, this step is not absolutely necessary, but it is highly recommended. You do not need to remove all of the finish but you should remove as much as possible. Once that’s done you need to clean off any dust left over from sanding, and wipe the entire stock down with your chemical of choice from the above list, I used alcohol.

Now you’re ready to tape off the areas to be textured. This is pretty self explanatory, so I’ll leave the design work to you. Tape the stock up and trace out your “cut lines
    I hate to be the cruel hand of reality slapping you across the face but, someone has to do it.

Life's hard, buy a helmet. You're not going to get coddled around here so get over it.

http://www.second-amendment.org/

Very fine job sir. I'm glad you remembered to take the step by step photos.

You say that you taped around the rear tang and used that as a template. Did you leave a gab between the tang and the texture, or does it flush directly up to the tang? It looks like it's pretty tight there.

By the way, your texture job came out fantastic. And you're pictures are just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Qld4390
    Very fine job sir. I'm glad you remembered to take the step by step photos.

You say that you taped around the rear tang and used that as a template. Did you leave a gab between the tang and the texture, or does it flush directly up to the tang? It looks like it's pretty tight there.

By the way, your texture job came out fantastic. And you're pictures are just fine.
    Thank you for the kind words. The rear tang butts right up to the texture, you could say it fits like a glove.

Rigger
    I hate to be the cruel hand of reality slapping you across the face but, someone has to do it.

Life's hard, buy a helmet. You're not going to get coddled around here so get over it.

That looks excellent!

How big of a beating do you think it would be to do an entire stock like that - tip to tip? Don't know that I would actually do that, but it's crossed my mind...

I don't think i would be hard at all, but I do think it would chew up your face when you shot it. :wink:

Rigger

Excellent Job.

Good write up Rigger. I may attempt this soon.
    JOEY

SC Member #2507
    SASS#84934

Bill Of Rights Supporter

This really makes me want to do some kind of grip texture on my B&C Tactical. I need to take down the pistol grip a bit first, as my small hands don't fit around it very well as-is.

Anyhow, I will be referencing this writeup whenever I undertake texturing one of my rifles! A+ work rigger

Quote Originally Posted by mr_ouija
    This really makes me want to do some kind of grip texture on my B&C Tactical. I need to take down the pistol grip a bit first, as my small hands don't fit around it very well as-is.

Anyhow, I will be referencing this writeup whenever I undertake texturing one of my rifles! A+ work rigger
    if you are talking bout the tactical B&C I did one for a remmy 700 and they look very nice

What do you guys think of using grip tape, like the tape on a skate board, to do this?

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Ads