Trigger stoning

This is a discussion on Trigger stoning within the DIY forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Well, this is somewhat random, but related. I just finished stoning, then polishing the bearing surfaces on my stock Remington 700 trigger. Not much stoning ...

Thread: Trigger stoning

Administrator

Trigger stoning

Well, this is somewhat random, but related. I just finished stoning, then polishing the bearing surfaces on my stock Remington 700 trigger.

Not much stoning was required really, I started with 14 Micron Silicon carbide/Carborundum lubricated with Kroil to smooth up factory mill marks and flatten the faces; you end up with a frosty, but very flat surface.

Polishing then began with my white Lansky ceramic stone (also 1000 grit, but results in polishing not frosting on the already-flat surface) lubricated with Nathan's honing oil, which resulted in a brilliant finish.

BUT...I am obsessive over some things with rifles, and triggers are one. SO, I proceeded to polish the bearing surfaces yet again, but with 1.3 Micron Cerium Oxide (had it lying around for stone lapping and polishing). Now, you talk about a polished surface! They're little mirrors now, and smoother than any baby's bottom ever thought about. Oughta prove to be a much better trigger now, at 3 lbs and no creep.

Well, I'm done, until I give you all the range and build report on my Green Mountain/Remington 700/Schmidt & Bender little smokeless muzzletube. :lol:

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

Can't wait to see how she does!
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

Very cool Nate, can't wait to see that thing completed! BTW, did that Score-High follower work alright for you?

-matt
    http://www.ordnancesystem.com/
    Ordnance System Designs, Inc.
    Stay tuned for details.

Be worthy of your freedom and of the sacrifice of those who protect it.

Administrator
    Yeah, I can't wait to see how she does either! Just a few things to finish up and I've gotta pick up some N110 and trim up brass, then rock and roll.

Matt, yes, that follower is just the trick for this build. I did end up going with Callahan steel bottom metal and I'm leaving the factory follower such that I can slap in a .243 barrel next summer, rezero, and hunt all summer with that. That is, if I don't just shoot coy dogs and groundhogs with the muzzleloader...SINCE I won't have to clean it right after!

Thanks again for that follower, Matt.

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

Very cool, I'm glad it worked out for you. Once again, no problem on the follower, I'm glad it's serving you well 8)

-matt
    http://www.ordnancesystem.com/
    Ordnance System Designs, Inc.
    Stay tuned for details.

Be worthy of your freedom and of the sacrifice of those who protect it.

Ads