A note on Cerakote technique

This is a discussion on A note on Cerakote technique within the DIY forums, part of the Sniping Related category; We at AZ Precision are just starting out with Cerakote. We chose to invest the money required to apply Cerakote so that we can be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A note on Cerakote technique

We at AZ Precision are just starting out with Cerakote. We chose to invest the money required to apply Cerakote so that we can be using the best coating possible for our bolt knob installs.

There's lots of discussion on Cerakote application.

Here's some things we have learned.

1) The most common problem is applying it too thick. To solve this, PRACTICE. Learn to adjust your HVLP spray gun so that you can hold it just inches from your work piece, and get an even full coat in one pass without runs. This is much easier said than done!

2) Over spray is a common mistake and is caused by holding the gun too far from your work piece. The Cerakote begins to dry before hitting the work piece and does not spread with the rest of the Cerakote. It leaves what looks like a powder coat finish. This is bad if you get this result. You can sometimes rub 600 grit over it to remove this, but it's better to do it right first time around.

3) Filter! Have ALL recommended filters on your air line to remove all the moisture and contaminants, and filter the Cerakote before filling the HVLP spray gun. The gun will also have a filter in it but do not rely on this alone.

4) Cleaning. The work piece should be degreased before and after sand blasting. I use Iso Alcohol because it leaves no residue.

5) Bake your work piece at 200 degrees for 30 minutes or so to dry it completely. Allow to cool before spraying.

6) The thickness of Cerakote should be .001". When doing bolt bodies it extremely important to not over coat the bolt. If this is done it wont even fit back int he receiver. To help guarantee your work, measure everything with a pair of mics.
    If a sand blasted bolt is .700". The diamater after coating should be no more than .702"

Here's an example:

Here the Mic. shows the thickness of the bolt with the Cerakote. The thickness is about .0013". This is .0003" over preferred thickness.

Receiver raceways have a few thou of slop between the bolt and the receiver. But there's less than that sometimes and coating thickness is of the utmost importance.

Anyone looking to get into Cerakote, or who has just recently started. My best advice to you is ask professionals for as much advice as possible, and buy or find scrap metal to sandblast and spray for practice. Practice Practice Practice. Practice on work that is measurable and easy to work with. Don't make it harder than it already is.

Hope this was interesting or helpful to someone.

Thanks
    Keith Johns
    AZ Precision
    AZ Precision Gunsmithing
    www.azprecisiongunsmithing.com

We do bolt knobs for $75. Any knob, installed and Cerakoted any color!
    Custom bolt knobs available

+1 Nice write-up! Great info!
    USS Mpls/St. Paul (SSN-708) Fast boats are the only boats!
    -Rem 700 SPS-V .308 win
    -Rem 788 .222 rem, 6mm, .308
    -Rem 7 .22-250 rem

+1 on the great write up. I attended Lauer Weaponary DuraCoat certification program, I practiced on old steel scraps, tools anything I could get my hands on. DESPITE all this, I messed up my first 'real' project. I refinished an old G27. I laid the Duracoat too thick and couldn't get the barrel to slide properly! Wow, that seems so long ago. Where were ya' with this great write up a few years ago? :lol: So, take the free advise folks this was a great write-up!!!!!!
    Remington 700 VTR .308

Millett TRS-1

Harris and Karsten enhancments
    *I love my VTR, couldn't ask more from a hunting rifle*

Just starting

Thank you for the kind words. It's no great write up though. Just some basic facts.

We're still learning a lot. We just started a couple months ago.

We are using the C-series Cerakote. The H-series two part is slightly different in the mixing and curing process but the application is about the same.

It's easy to forget steps that matter a lot. Every time before I spray a work piece I review either in my head or on paper things to look out for and remember. I spray some practice passes on scrap metal and a large piece of cardboard we have set up for practicing.

Every time you clean the gun you have to re-adjust the dials/setting on it. Different colors require differences too!

Again, this depends on whether your spraying H, or C series Cerakote.
    Duracoat is a different animal as well
    AZ Precision Gunsmithing

Thanks AZPrecision, great write-up.

I was noding my head when you said how you go through the process mentally before starting, there is a lot to consider when doing it right.

I am coppying your words to pin up in my spray booth ....

Cheers.

I just finished my first Duracoat project, that was a real eye opener. Thought to myself, how hard can it be, just paint. Thickness is a real issue. This was on my "test" rifle, a Henry lever action 22lr, so the specs are pretty loose. I'll finish up the "second test" rifle, a 22mag, but will send everything else to the pro's! ops:

My advice is to start with Kalashnikov first - you may actually improve his specs if something goes wrong... :wink:

Great tutorial - thanks for sharing your experience with us.
    Best regards
    Robert

Keith, what kind of oven do you use to bake after application? Can you post a pic of it?

C-series Cerakote:

AZ Precision Gunsmithing

AZ Precision Gunsmithing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads