Homemade sandbags

This is a discussion on Homemade sandbags within the DIY forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Now that I am shooting my .22lr a whole lot, I want a slightly better rest for it. I can't put a bipod on it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Homemade sandbags

Now that I am shooting my .22lr a whole lot, I want a slightly better rest for it. I can't put a bipod on it so I'm looking at making some sandbags for it. I have a pair of jeans that I can't wear (girls jeans, no clue where they came from :?) but I remember seeing places that you could make sandbags with them.

I've been researching it a bit but have a few questions. First off, is sand the very best material to use? I've heard rice, cat litter, beans, and many others. Has anyone tried several different ones and have a preference? Sand seems to be what would work best, I'm just worried about it leaking through the jeans and getting everywhere.

Also, one thing I can't seem to find anywhere, how firm should I make it. Should I make it rather loose to where the rifle sags down in the bag, so it kind of hugs it, or should I pack it tight where the rifle just sits on top?

Other details are good as well. How wide, etc.

And any advice to make a small bag for the back of the rifle? I figured while I'm at it I could go ahead and make a couple.

8)

Ah, that explains why my search for sandbags didn't get anything. :lol:

Thank you!

You can get a little crazy with pants legs too... I took a pair and sewed a rectangle, right down the middle. This left four "tubes" on the corners, and a fairly sturdy "flat" in the middle. Then I filled the tubes with sand and sewed them shut. The end product is somewhat of an H shape, but the four tubes are independently flexible, so you can use them adjust elevation to an extent and also adjust the "hold" on the forearm of the rifle. I didn't get the tube size perfect on the first go around, but it does what I want so far. Next time I will adjust and make the bottom tubes slightly larger than the top ones to provide a broader base. I will try and get some pics up soon. I made this particular baf cery firm, but if you're just wanting a plain square or "pillow" bag, I'd definitely leave some room for adjustment.

I've also sewn some rear bags for myself and a few buddies... For those I really like the poly beads that are available at most craft stores, but rice will work in a pinch.
    "Remeber boys, Aim small, miss small."

Alotta guys use socks filled with sand.Probably be better if yur using like green or brown socks instead of typical white ones that are generic,Just a thought...

~Reagan
    "There is a very thin line between being Brave and being Stupid.",~R.Reagan

I have used sand, beans, rice, rice/bean combo, and most recently airsoft BBs. By far the best is the airsoft BBs. The only thing better, would be if you could find something the same size as an airsoft BB that wasn't round, so the media would hold to each other a bit better, but still be plastic, so you get the light weight and waterproof advantage.

I am currently trying to make plastic shavings - out of anything plastic I don't want or need that I can cut/grind up, to make plastic media. Hopefully to keep it light and waterproof, but with better viscosity than the BBs.
    Molon Labe!
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Range Master (head armorer and lead firearms instructor)
    AR15/M16, Remington 700 and Glock Armorer
    Savage bolt & Remington rimfire fan

I used popcorn seeds. a little more weight than airsoft BBs, and it flows/moves better than rice or sand when you are squishing the sock with your hand. Sand is very sturdy and i would use it for a front sandbag rest, but airsoft BBs, beans, or popcorn seeds for the rear bag.

JRA
    "so, let me get this straight... you're telling me you want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane?!"

I actually just bought a five pound bag of rice in a burlap bag for $5. Works great.
    Actions speak louder than words but not nearly so often.

Doug,

Thats a terrific idea! Note to self: hit grocery store on way home from work.
    Reagan, i did exactly that. Took 3 plastic grocery bags one inside the other, filled the inside one w sand. Tied it off good and tight. Put it in a really heavy duty Docker's green dress sock. Works like a charm for a rear sandsock/bag. Fits in the dtag bag nice too.

Paulus
    Just a random dude who likes to shoot on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by paulus
    Doug,

Thats a terrific idea! Note to self: hit grocery store on way home from work.
    Reagan, i did exactly that. Took 3 plastic grocery bags one inside the other, filled the inside one w sand. Tied it off good and tight. Put it in a really heavy duty Docker's green dress sock. Works like a charm for a rear sandsock/bag. Fits in the dtag bag nice too.

Paulus
    Paulus if you have an Asian or international market around go there. They have rice in all sorts of sizes and type sof bags. Not just plastic like a super market.
    Actions speak louder than words but not nearly so often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads